http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 80325/1064

Survey says: Readers are hot about immigration

RICHARD R. AGUIRRE

August 28, 2005

I enjoy learning what people think. That's why I've become a big fan of StatesmanJournal.com polls. I write many of the questions, including one Friday which drew a huge response (available as an online link from this column).

The question: "A state immigration-reform group wants Gov. Kulongoski to follow the lead of the Arizona and New Mexico governors who recently declared states of emergency in counties along the U.S.-Mexico border. Are states of emergency an appropriate way for governors to express concern about the impact of illegal immigration, or should governors instead work through the federal government? And are there political overtones to this debate?"

A large majority of the 104 responses backed an emergency declaration. Most wrote that illegal immigration is hurting Oregon and the United States.

Typical was this response from Elizabeth Van Staaveren of McMinnville:

"Illegal immigrants take jobs that should go to citizens; they cause wages to fall. Our state is flooded with thousands of illegal immigrants, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. Citizens are tired of paying for social services, education, medical care for illegal immigrants; this is an indirect subsidy to their employers.

"The toleration of illegal immigration undermines the rule of law, the main thing separating advanced countries from the many failing nations around the world," she wrote. "If laws are not respected, we descend to the law of the jungle. Illegal immigrants should be deported and their employers should be severely punished."

Many poll respondents also criticized Kulongoski, the state and federal governments, or President Bush.

Some blamed illegal aliens for lost jobs and low wages; others blamed them for crime, high social-service costs and a degradation of society.

A small number of folks disagreed.

One writer, who identified herself as Naomi Preston of Salem, wrote:

"I am really saddened to read these messages blaming Oregon's economic and social woes on the issue of undocumented non-citizens. These problems are far more complex, and passing such unverified and misguided information as if it were factual is dangerous.

"I see most of these responses as visceral and quite venomous. Such statements only create a scapegoat and breed further hatred. This lynch-mob mentality does nothing to resolve the real issues and unfairly targets many innocent people, who are not involved in criminal activity. Their burning desire is to make a decent life for themselves, which is what brought most of our families to America initially."

Other writers made racist remarks, went on off-topic rants and personally attacked other writers. I have no respect for people who make anonymous attacks.

Fortunately, the many well-argued views, and some short, funny and weird comments, offset the nastiness.

For example, "Melting Pot" wrote, "If we had only let those pilgrims starve maybe this wouldn't be an issue."

Another person bizarrely wrote: "Hey they're illegal. People in this country are hungry. So let's eat them."

I hope our polls keep attracting lots of writers -- even those who ignore our questions and simply attack the SJ.

Still, I ask that you please list your real full name, home city and occupation, so you can take credit, and responsibility, for your comments; be concise; be respectful of others; keep it clean; and check your spelling and grammar.

Above all, let us know what you think. We welcome your feedback and your story and poll suggestions