http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY ... ws%5D=2293

Sentence Is Life With Possible Parole

PORTLAND -- The suspect in the 2001 slaying of a University of Portland student has pleaded no contest to aggravated murder, sexual abuse, rape and sodomy.
Kate Johnson's body was found in her dorm room on the north Portland campus.

Police arrested Deniz Aydiner (pictured) in January 2004 after DNA evidence linked him to the death. The Turkish national was apprehended when he returned to the U.S.

Johnson's family wanted to avoid a trial and the detailing of the murder, and the defense and prosecution spent two weeks negotiating a plea agreement. Aydiner will serve life in prison with the possibility of parole in 35 years. If paroled, he will be deported to Turkey and not be allowed to return to the United States, the judge said.

"I want you to know that you have not and will not destroy my life. I am strong, a child of God and Kate's mother forever. May God's peace be with you, Deniz, and may you find that place deep in your soul where you know the truth lies and perhaps someday do what is right and tell everyone the truth," Johnson's mother, Edie, told Aydiner Friday in court.

Aydiner's attorney planned to argue that authorities violated international treaty with his client's home country of Turkey by tricking him into returning to the U.S.

As part of plea, the defense may appeal to a higher court, arguing that this court had no jurisdiction to decide a case involving international law. If the conviction is thrown out, Aydiner would be returned to Turkey to stand trial for the death.

However, prosecutors said Hell will freeze over before they allow that.