Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

System to Verify Worker Legality Is Delayed Again

By Spencer S. Hsu
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, January 30, 2009; Page A07

The Obama administration is delaying a planned crackdown on federal contractors that hire illegal immigrants to determine if the electronic system set up to check workers' documents can handle the surge in workload, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said yesterday.

The federal government planned to require all contractors to use that government system, known as E-Verify, to screen all workers on contracts worth more than $100,000 after Jan. 15, but the Bush administration delayed the rule until Feb. 20 because of a lawsuit filed by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. This week, the new administration postponed it until May 21 to give itself "an adequate opportunity to review the rule."

"I believe in E-Verify. I believe it has to be an integral part of our immigration enforcement system," Napolitano said. "The review is intended to see what needs to be done to increase the capacity for the E-Verify system, how quickly that can be done."

The rule, proposed last June, is expected to roughly double the number of U.S. employers -- from about 100,000 -- that use E-Verify. Participation is now voluntary for employers and used only for new hires, covering about 11 percent of hiring.

U.S. Chamber spokesman Robin Conrad said that in light of the "stressed economy," the organization is hopeful that the administration "will agree that E-Verify is the wrong solution at the wrong time."

House Republicans criticized the move. Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Tex.), ranking minority member of the Judiciary Committee, issued a statement saying, "It is ironic that at the same time President Obama was pushing for passage of the stimulus package to help the unemployed, his Administration delayed implementation of a rule designed to protect jobs for U.S. citizens and legal workers."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03729.html
    "Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country"-John F. Kennedy

working4change
    U.S. Chamber spokesman Robin Conrad said that in light of the "stressed economy," the organization is hopeful that the administration "will agree that E-Verify is the wrong solution at the wrong time."
    No it's the right solution at the right time. Businesses just want cheap labor and that equals breaking the law and employing "illegal" aliens. We need E-VERIFY NOW

Okay, thats it. One of our biggest enemies in saving our country is the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

What can we do about them? Harrass them to death with hundreds? thousands? of e-mails, phone calls, faxes, etc? Picket line? Protest groups? (Protests would take some prep time to organize, and money and time off work for travel. But we're likely going to have to start doing that more at some point.)

I know Chamber of Commerce aren't going to be as easily swayed since they don't have a potential vote to lose like elected officials, but if we made it bad enough for them, maybe word would get back to our elected officials about the numbers of people who are ANGRY and are NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!! We WILL organize and we WILL protest, and we WILL DEMAND as loudly or louder than the pro-illegal immigrant advocates.

U.S. Chamber of Commerce has a website with contact info.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Illegal Lover!!!!!

E-Verify IS JUST the solution in this stressed economy!!!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

How long is it till we are going to be bombarded with all these jobs? I've heard 18 months to a couple years.......
    Seems now is a perfect time to get that system up and working then. They act like tomorrow it will be here, so lets just toss the baby out with the bath water.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Unoccupied Southeast Georgia But Not For Much Longer
    As I have mentioned many times all this is all a ploy for taxpayers to fund this bs stimulus to subsidize more cheap labor for Congress and Obama's corporate, Chamber of Commerce and Mexican government masters. I find it more than coincidental that Obama stopped e-verify right after he whored CEO's complete with an orchestra and cocktails for the bedroom ensemble and why ALL these scoundrels are so eager to jam that trillion dollar Ponzi scheme down our throats and up our wazoos before e-verify implementation if it ever is implemented which I seriously don't think will ever be. You campaigned on a pledge of open, responsible and honest government free from the influence of lobbyists, unions, socio-ethnocentric special interests and the Chamber of Commerce Mr Obama, but all I see is another broken promise in a very long trail of broken promises as it looks like to me those CEOs directed the delay of e-verify despite it's success in reducing the number of jobs for illegal aliens and is a contributing factor in reverse illegal immigration. NOT ONCE did Obama stand before the American people and say if we are going to put them back to work we need to ensure ONLY Americans are put to work. That meeting with CEO's was the final nail in our coffin as Obama probably told his masters that the destruction of the middle class is well under way as he will shortly open the borders for more cheap labor and bring in millions of additional Hxx and L1 visas for industry. Here comes the North American union where abject misery, poverty and despair will rule our lives.
    There is no freedom without the law. Remember our veterans whose sacrifices allow us to live in freedom.