Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Tancredo happy contentious issue taking on a life of its own

http://www.rockymountainnews.com

Tancredo happy contentious issue taking on a life of its own

By Jody Berger, Rocky Mountain News
    April 11, 2006
    Rep. Tom Tancredo knew demonstrators were gathering just six blocks away, but he had no trouble dismissing them in a lunchtime speech at the Denver Athletic Club.
    "Although you can gather 100,000 or 500,000 or more people to protest against stronger enforcement policies on the part of the federal government, the polls will tell us that the majority of Americans want us to secure the border," Tancredo said to 35 people eating chicken salad. "They want to end illegal immigration."

Tancredo, a leading proponent of strict border control and tougher enforcement against illegal immigrants, said there were two main reasons he hasn't been able to get legislation passed.

"The Democratic Party sees massive immigration, both legal and illegal, as a source of voters," Tancredo said. "And the Republican Party sees massive immigration, both legal and illegal, as a source of cheap labor.

"It's tough to get anything through," he said.

Tancredo is delighted that the issue has garnered so much attention lately. The U.S. House and Senate both recently debated immigration reform, millions have marched in the streets nationwide and even Saturday Night Live addressed it by parodying him.

"I am pleased beyond measure that the issue has reached a point where I am not the prime mover on it," he said.

If Tancredo doesn't see any of the presidential candidates taking a strong enough stance on the issue next year, he will make his voice heard in the early state primaries.

"If it takes going to South Carolina or Iowa to facilitate that debate, I will do it," Tancredo said
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Tom Tancredo is one of the very few real men in Congress. I wish him all the luck in the world and I hope he and his family remain safe.