Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo sets new goal for presidential campaign

Tancredo sets new goal for presidential campaign

By M.E. Sprengelmeyer, Rocky Mountain News
    May 16, 2007
    Rep. Tom Tancredo has set a new benchmark in his uphill race for the White House, but he said it's still too early to say what will happen if the goal isn't met.
    Tancredo, R-Littleton, said this morning he's hoping to rank at least 5th in the Iowa Republican Party's straw poll in Ames on August 11, or else it could become difficult to continue his campaign.

So far, Tancredo is still trying to bust above the 1 percent mark in national polls, but he thinks a recent four-day swing through Iowa has boosted his chances in the state that will cast the first official votes at precinct caucuses in January 2008.

For all the candidates, including Tancredo, the Ames straw poll will be a critical test. It's essentially a fundraiser for the Iowa GOP, when candidates encourage their supporters to show up and cast ballots in a non-binding but closely watched popularity contest.

Tancredo, still ranked near the bottom of the crowded field, said he hopes to finish at least fifth in the straw poll — or else.

If he ranks much lower than that, he said this morning, "What would happen is it would certainly affect our ability to continue — not necessarily my desire, but my ability. It would affect perhaps fundraising, and with that goes your ability to continue."

His ranking in that straw poll isn't the only factor. Between now and then, the Republican field could shift dramatically, particularly if former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee or former House Speaker Newt Gingrich enter the race. And other candidates could drop out if they don't get solid showings at the straw poll.

At that point, Tancredo's decision would also be affected by who else is in and who else is out.

"I'm willing to stay in it until the bitter end, one way or the other," Tancredo said. "It just depends on the ability to (continue). What I'm saying is, if you don't do well enough in the Iowa straw poll, it affects your ability to go on."

Tancredo, who spent four days over the past week barnstorming in places like Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Dubuque and Davenport said he was pleased by the results of Tuesday's 10-candidate Republican debate on FoxNews — especially compared to an earlier, MSNBC debate when many political observers said he appeared to be lost in the shuffle.

In the FoxNews debate, he got to talk about his trademark crusade against illegal immigration and he scored morning news attention for quips about fellow candidates' hard-line "conversions" on the "road to Des Moines."

He also stirred the pot — and won some applause in a Republican-leaning crowd — with his controversial interpretation of the Muslim faith and by questioning whether human beings are really responsible for global warming.

He said his preparation was "much the same — I just had little cards. I kept reading them over and over."

Tuesday night, "The questions themselves were substantive, so it was much better than that stuff on MSNBC," Tancredo said.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/e ... 20,00.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Tancredo is a very good American. We could sure use a lot more like him in Congress.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

April
    GOOOOOO TOM!!!

JAK
    Quote Originally Posted by pjr40
    Tancredo is a very good American. We could sure use a lot more like him in Congress.
    He sure is...it's time to throw out the guys that practice for the roll (position) and lie through their teeth! We need someone who is looking out for America, our culture and the citizens of this country.

These traitors that are in office trying to give our country away NEED TO BE REPLACED ASAP!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)