Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Taylor Aid Says She Gave Wrong Information on CAFTA Vote

http://www.heraldsun.com/state/6-631178.html

Taylor aid says she gave wrong information on CAFTA vote

Jul 29, 2005 : 11:58 pm ET

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- A top aide to U.S. Rep. Charles Taylor said Friday she was wrong when she said the North Carolina Republican was not on the House floor during the customary voting time for a deeply contested trade deal and that he voted near the very end of the extended period.

Taylor said an electronic voting problem prevented his vote against the Central American Free Trade Agreement from registering. The trade bill passed the U.S. House early Thursday by two votes, 217-215, after Republican leaders extended the customary 15 minute voting period to 63 minutes to line up enough votes.

Taylor's press secretary, Deborah Potter, said Friday that Taylor was on the House floor for the vote and cast his vote within the first 15 minutes of the allotted voting time. Taylor did not check the board that shows how each member voted and had no idea his vote against CAFTA wasn't counted, Potter said.

The agreement, for which President Bush campaigned aggressively, sets up free trade with six Latin American countries -- Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic.

The bill, which the Senate approved last month, now goes to the president for his signature.

Democrats weren't buying Taylor's explanation.

"I think that after seven terms in Congress, especially on such a crucial vote, one would hope U.S. Rep. Charles Taylor might be able to figure out the many ways to vote, and I think his story might be unraveling," said Schorr Johnson, a spokesman with the North Carolina Democratic Party.

"In a body of 435 people, very rarely does a vote become so close that every vote matters. In this case, every vote mattered, and he missed it," Johnson said.

------
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"A body of 435"...who was #435?

If everyone was present and accounted for why are we dealing with 434 instead of 435?

That's why C-Span announced they needed 218. Then they called it at 217.

This gets more weird by the minute!

The boards said there were only 2 NV. If there are 435 then there should have been 3 NV, right?

So who is the other one and why wasn't it shown on the boards?

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Is there a vacancy? Is Portman's spot wherever he's from still vacant? He resigned the Congress to personally handle CAFTA as the US Trade Representative negotiating the whole thing.

Maybe that is #435.

Oh God, I'm still just seething.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Did Hastert vote???

Wonder what the precedent is for extending vote times? That's something that should be investigated. It's glaringly obvious that, if "Massa" and Cheney had not been there THREATENING the undecideds or the liars who SAID they were going to vote against it AND, if the vote had proceeded at the specified time, there would have been NO CAFTA.

We should call for a thorough investigation of how this played out. IF Taylor is telling the truth, he should be up front demanding another vote. And I believe that some of the other votes, like Robin Hayes, might change dramatically once they go home to their districts for the summer recess and HEAR their consituents raising HELL about their votes.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

I think that Taylor is being set up to fall because he went against the GOP. They held the votes open so long because they are allowed to change their votes after they have already cast it.

Many members of the congress were standing at the back of the floor waiting for deals. We all heard on CSPAN the speaker order those standing at the back to go to the cloak room, and that is where they were playing lets make a deal. As soon as they got enough votes changed to win, then they stopped the votes.

Taylor placed his vote and left, perhaps his card wasn’t being scanned for some very "strange" reason. Congressman Coble personally called my wife yesterday and confirmed that he and Charlie voted together and left. They left because they didn’t want anyone trying to pressure them or strong-arm them into changing their votes.

Those who were voting no were getting yelled at, they were calling them things like pinko commie. After they got their votes and shut down the voting, our beloved President left the floor proceeded down the hall, he then turned around and gave the no voters the middle finger. How is that for a "Christian" leader?

We need to get these corrupt politicians out of office. They can play “lets make a deal� home version in prison.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

JP--Tell me you are KIDDING that the our PRESIDENT gave someone the FINGER in the halls of CONGRESS????? That is just WAY BEYOND THE PALE. I wish to God that someone had gotten a picture of that.

So, your wife and I are both famous now, huh?? WE get personal calls from Congressman Coble!!! Sorry, he didn't call you, JP. Oh well, next time he calls, I'll use my "PULL" and tell him to call you too!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, that is one prince of a fella. Whether I always agree with him or not, he is always honest and concerned about his constituents. I wish there were 400 more like him.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

The bird, yes I heard it on the radio yesterday, I can’t remember exactly who said it, but he has been known to do it.

Here is a pic from 2004?

Here is the video clip that came from.

One Finger Victory Salute

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier - just so long I'm the dictator." George Bush: CNN December 18, 2000

Watch the video
    http://www.newsgateway.ca/bush_dictator.htm

CNN Transcript
    http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0012/18/nd.01.html

"Our Leader"
    http://www.bartcop.com/he-isourleader.jpg

The Billboard was the real thing when Bush won his second term
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

You know what??? He can't even do THAT well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!