Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Teamsters union to endorse Barack Obama

Surprise, surprise. Pro-amnesty union will endorse pro-amnesty candidate:
    ---------

February 20, 2008
    Teamsters union to endorse Barack Obama
    By JESSE J. HOLLAND, AP Labor Writer
    39 minutes ago

Sen. Barack Obama is slated to pick up the endorsement of the powerful Teamsters, the second major union endorsement for the Democratic front-runner in a week, union officials told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Obama will meet with Teamster President James P. Hoffa in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday. The endorsement is expected to come soon thereafter, said the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the planned formal announcement.

The Teamsters represent 1.4 million members.

Union support will be key in the Democratic primaries in the next few weeks, particularly in Ohio on March 4 and Pennsylvania on April 22. Ohio and Pennsylvania have some of the nation's largest number of union workers, with more than 15 percent of the workforce unionized in Pennsylvania and just over 14 percent in Ohio.

The endorsement from the Teamsters is Obama's third from organized labor in a week. The 1.9-million member Service Employees International Union endorsed the Illinois senator last Friday, and the smaller United Food and Commercial Workers endorsed him last Thursday.

Rival Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton by far has a larger number of unions in her corner with 12 endorsements from unions affiliated with the AFL-CIO — the nation's largest labor federation — and the United Farm Workers from the rival Change To Win labor federation.

But Obama also has two AFL-CIO unions in his corner in the Transport Workers Union and the National Weather Service Employees Organization. And with a Teamsters endorsement, he will have four Change To Win unions in his corner: the Teamsters, SEIU, the United Food and Commercial Workers and UNITE HERE, who gave the Illinois senator his first national endorsement from a union.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080220/ap_ ... _teamsters
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If my father were alive today, he would surely blow a gasket. He was a Teamster most of his working life- I'm sure it was different then or he would not have been an active, dues paying member.

In researching this item I found these comments by media critic and journalist Cliff Kincaid:

http://www.newswithviews.com/Kincaid/cliff208.htm
    Remember that*all Politicians work for us, the U.S. Taxpaying Citizens.* If they are not doing their jobs to your liking, FIRE THEM in the next elections.

How ironic! The teamsters are suing in federal court to prevent the Mexican Trucks from entering the United States and the Teamsters are going to endorse a guy who will turn this country over to Mexico!

The insanity continues!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Huh?

Can anyone explain how this endorsement makes any sense with respect to illegal immigration?

The teamsters are under continued pressure from the competition of illegal immigrant labor and the Mexican Truckers mess. How is it they could endorse a guy who's immigration agenda so clearly opposes theirs? Is it because they vote Democratic and feel it's the lesser of two evils?

It really makes no sense to me.

My mail was returned. I used lmiller@teamsters.org that I saw listed on this board. Can not find an address on Teamsters website. Help please.

Americans supported the Union in the battle to remove Mexican trucks from the USA.
    You have proven that no good deed goes unpunished. You have stabbed American workers in the back by endorsing a Presidential candidate that promotes open borders, citizenship for invaders and Visas for more imported cheap labor.
    Your perfidy is unbelievable. You are short sighted and self serving.
    Shelva Preston

The Teamsters have been all over the map on this issue since day one. Nothing surprises me any more concerning this group.

Remember, it was the AFL-CIO that sued in Federal Court last year seeking an injuction to stop the DHS from sending out the No Match Letters to various companies across the country. If SS Numbers did not match up, employees were susposed to be terminated until they could remedy the problems with their number.

Teamster concern seems not to lie with America and the devastating impact illegal immigration has on this country. Rather, the Teamsters main concern seems to be whether or not the illegal invader is a card carrying, dues paying member of their organization.

Here is Teamster's contact info:

http://www.teamster.org/about/contactingteamsters.htm

------------

The #2 guy in the Teamster's was on the Al Rantel talk radio show (KABC) last year whining about the dangerous Mexican trucks while at the same time evading & dancing around questions about the Teamster's hypocritical support of amnesty. To them, it's all about new members at the expense of everything else.

I certainly don't want dangerous Mexican trucks on our roads, but I could care less about the Teamsters.

It's because they see the writing on the wall.

I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

Populist, there obvious in no "no amnesty" candidate. I'd rather not go with the "known" plan of McCain and will take my chances with the "unknown" Obama.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast