Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Technicolor Cutting More than 1,000 Jobs (moving to Mexico)

Technicolor Inc. said Thursday that it is eliminating 630 jobs from its Ventura County DVD plant and is closing the doors at its 440-employee Technicolor-Universal Media Services facility in Pinckneyville, Ill.

The Camarillo-based company said it laid off 120 workers Wednesday at its Camarillo facility while another 510 positions there will be phased out over the next six to seven months – ultimately moving to Guadalajara, Mexico.

There will still be about 500 employees at the Camarillo site, the company said. At its peak, the plant employed nearly 2,000 workers and these cuts add to the 300 jobs that were eliminated at the plant last summer.

Doors were also locked Wednesday morning at the company’s 440-employee Technicolor-Universal Media Services facility in Pinckneyville, Ill., which was the largest employer in the rural Illinois county.

“Manufacturing will be centralized in our existing location in Guadalajara, Mexico. Employment at the Pinckneyville plant will continue for 60 days, and the whole process will be completed by the end of March,” company spokesman Tom Bracken said.

The company also cut another 70 positions in its Memphis facility, Bracken said.

The cuts were necessary due to pressure from movie studios to lower DVD production costs, Bracken added. Studios have been demanding that Technicolor lower its prices so retail DVD prices can be reduced, he said.

“Our customers, like Disney and Universal, want lower prices from us,” he said. “The only way we can do that is to reduce our costs, reduce head count and centralize our operations in our low-cost manufacturing facility in Mexico.”

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/login.asp

Sorry, but you need to register to access this site.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

why do i think the price of dvd's isn't going to drop? but i bet the executives will each get some nice bonuses

MW
    The Camarillo-based company said it laid off 120 workers Wednesday at its Camarillo facility while another 510 positions there will be phased out over the next six to seven months – ultimately moving to Guadalajara, Mexico.
    When are the Democrats going to do what is necessary to stop this profuse bleed-off of American jobs! The outsourcing of American jobs and the insourcing of poverty in the form of "cheap labor" continues........

What is it about this situation that is so difficult for Bush and the U.S. Congress to understand. The continuous outsourcing of middle class jobs and importation of poverty in the form of cheap labor can only have one result, which is the lowering of middle class Americans standard of living. Basically, if business continues as usual, the poverty class in this country will swell as the middle class shrinks.

Honestly, I can't see how that can benefit Americans, not even those jokers in the U.S. Congress, because once the middle class tax proceeds to the government shrink (dry up is probably a better word), the wealthy, small business owners, and large corporations will be forced to take up the slack left behind by what was once upon a time the responsibility of the middle class. The government certainly won't be able to look to our nations lower (poverty) class to sustain the the country, because you can't bleed a turnipe. Sounds like a losing proposition for all concerned to me.

Am I missing something here?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I wrote to technicolor and universal and disney and let them know ...I will not watch another movie or buy a DVD...Yes soon I will be hungry, naked and bored...but I will not be a turn coat....
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

CALL 805.445.1122

You can't bleed a turnip, you are correct. But you could change
    from an income tax to a Federal VAT tax, including vat on food,
    and then the illegals would be paying taxes....Just a thought.

They want to move jobs over to Mexico, so when we merge our Economies that we won't go into quite the hole.
    <div>DEFEAT BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA THE COMMIE FOR FREEDOM!!!!</div>

I say good, maybe now some of those Hollywood Communists won't be so gung-ho for an illegal alien amnesty.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Now its no longer a "Black & White Issue"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

corporateTraitors!! well maybe all those people getting laid off will get the picture and join our cause!!! seems like alot of Americans are not getting it until it hits home, lets hope before its to late!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)