Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Teens facing deportation get capitol hill support

Teens facing deportation get Capitol Hill support
    A powerful Miami lawmaker has joined the fight to keep teenagers Juan and Alex Gomez from being deported.
    Posted on Tue, Jul. 31, 2007Digg it del.icio.us reprint or license print email
    BY KATHLEEN McGRORY
    kmcgrory@MiamiHerald.com

CARL JUSTE/MIAMI HERALD STAFF
    Scott Elfenbein works the phone before boarding a plane Tuesday to Washington, D.C., with his classmates. The group planned to lobby federal lawmakers.
    » More Photos

Juan and Alex Gomez, whose fight to avoid deportation started with a few classmates and a laptop computer, have gained a powerful advocate on Capitol Hill: U.S. Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart.

On Monday, Diaz-Balart introduced legislation that would grant both Colombian nationals American residency, preventing them from being expelled with their parents.

Although the bill would only affect the brothers, their case has given fresh resonance to a much broader question: Should the children of undocumented immigrants be granted residency?

Diaz-Balart says yes.

''This case is heartbreaking,'' he told The Miami Herald Monday. ``These boys arrived in the country when they were 2 and 3 years old. The only decision they made was to study hard and make their parents proud.''

Diaz-Balart won't be the only one working the halls of power in Washington on the brothers' behalf. Eight Miami teens boarded a US Airways flight Monday bound for the capital, where they plan to lobby federal lawmakers and meet with the national news media.

The Gomez family -- parents Julio and Liliana and the two boys -- has been in South Florida since 1990, when they arrived on a six-month visitors visa, immigration officials said. They did not leave at the end of six months.

Years later, they went to immigration court to seek legal status, but a judge denied the request, a decision that was upheld on appeal.

Still they did not leave.

In May, Juan Gomez, 18, graduated at the top of his class from Killian High and earned a near-perfect score on his SATs. He was getting ready to start at Miami Dade College's Honors College when immigration agents seized him and his family.

That's when Juan Gomez's friends stepped in.

The teens started a grass-roots campaign to save the brothers on Face

book.com, the social networking site. They urged their classmates to contact local legislators in hopes to staving off the boys' deportation order.

The teens also rallied in support of the DREAM Act, separate, broad-based legislation that would provide a path to citizenship for the children of undocumented immigrants.

''Originally, we just wanted to save our friends,'' said Scott Elfenbein, 18, the recent Killian grad leading the charge. ``Now, we're realizing that there is a massive need for immigration reform, especially for positive members of society.''

Less than a week later, more than 1,500 teens had joined the virtual assemblage. They caught the attention of several local lawmakers, including Diaz-Balart and Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, both Miami Republicans.

Diaz-Balart's bill would not allow the boys' parents to remain in the country, since they knowingly overstayed their visa, Diaz-Balart said.

If the bill is heard this week by the House immigration subcommittee, it's possible the deportation order could be stayed. Traditionally, a House staffer said, the Department of Homeland Security stays deportation orders -- for as long as the two-year congressional term -- if the subcommittee agrees to take up the matter.

The DREAM Act, designed to help children of immigrants become residents, garnered early support among Democrats, but hasn't been brought to a vote. Opponents worry it could grant amnesty to an estimated 65,000 immigrant students each year.

Some Congress watchers believe the Gomez boys could become the new face of the bill, helping to nudge it toward approval.

Local immigrant advocates say they're delighted.

''This could really make a difference,'' said Cheryl Little, executive director of the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center.

``At the very least it gives us some hope that we can keep Juan and Alex around here.''

Equally as delighted: friends of Juan and his 19-year-old sibling, Alex.

On Monday, the friends set up a trust fund for the boys to help with living expenses.

Miami Herald staff writer Lesley Clark contributed to this report.

Recent Comments

http://www.miamiherald.com/884/story/187585.html

"These boys arrived in the country when they were 2 and 3 years old. The only decision they made was to study hard and make their parents proud.''
    Good! They'll be able to help out their countrymen back in their homeland...you're welcome for the education!
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    These little criminals are flying to DC to meet with Congressmen to demand legal status? They should be arrested right there.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by NoIllegalsAllowed
    These little criminals are flying to DC to meet with Congressmen to demand legal status? They should be arrested right there.
    ITA. At what point do these people learn that THEY ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW?

Diaz-Balart won't be the only one working the halls of power in Washington on the brothers' behalf. Eight Miami teens boarded a US Airways flight Monday bound for the capital, where they plan to lobby federal lawmakers and meet with the national news media.

The Gomez family -- parents Julio and Liliana and the two boys -- has been in South Florida since 1990, when they arrived on a six-month visitors visa, immigration officials said. They did not leave at the end of six months.
    Years later, they went to immigration court to seek legal status, but a judge denied the request, a decision that was upheld on appeal.

In May, Juan Gomez, 18, graduated at the top of his class from Killian High and earned a near-perfect score on his SATs. He was getting ready to start at Miami Dade College's Honors College when immigration agents seized him and his family.

And they are still refusing to leave. What part of illegals go home don't they understand? gahhhhhhh . . . . I'm to the point I am ready to break the law and see how far I can go when I explain that I think I AM SO SPECIAL that the law DOESN'T APPLY TO ME.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

MW
    These are not children or teenagers we're talking about! They've both graduated H.S. and one is 18, while the other is 19. These are adult men that I'm sure have been well aware of their illegal status for years!

The deportation order included the two kids (now men). When these boys turned 18, there was no legal excuse for them to remain in the country. They could have chosen to do the right thing and departed the country on their own when they reached adulthood, however, they decided to continue the lawbreaking ways of their parents - and now some idiot in the U.S. Congress wants to reward them for that.

Rep. Diaz-Balart (D-FL) immigration grade from NumbersUSA:

http://grades.betterimmigration.com/tes ... &VIPID=202

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    These are not children or teenagers we're talking about! They've both graduated H.S. and one is 18, while the other is 19. These are adult men that I'm sure have been well aware of their illegal status for years!

The deportation order included the two kids (now men). When these boys turned 18, there was no legal excuse for them to remain in the country. They could have chosen to do the right thing and departed the country on their own when they reached adulthood, however, they decided to continue the lawbreaking ways of their parents - and now some idiot in the U.S. Congress wants to reward them for that.

Rep. Diaz-Balart (D-FL) immigration grade from NumbersUSA:

http://grades.betterimmigration.com/tes ... &VIPID=202
    Exactly. What these idiots in government, churches and sanctuaries everywhere continue to ignore is that every little inch that illegals are given it emboldens them to become that much more defiant of our laws. That is why they feel that they are above the law until it happens to be one that suits them such as the 14th amendment, or a government official handing them citizenship. Rep Diaz Balart should have greeted them with a couple of ICE agents flanking him on either side.

Times like this.....I agree with you What Matters......feel like lighting up a cigarette on Daleys desk and crying about how I'm being denied my Constitutional freedoms,,,,targeted unfairly as a smoker.....point out what wonderful grades I got....the tax money they get, and then want "special" privaleges no-one else has. I am special ya know! Besides....it's LEGAL.

Plus....I don't like paying these high insurance rates anymore.....it's un-fairly targeting us that don't have alot of money.....I had 2 tickets....but I haven't killed anyone or hurt anyone and had a perfect driving record for years.....I'm an adult....I've paid for years.....so I think it's fair that now....I shouldn't have to do it anymore......I mean they're picking on me because I'm getting older....I have a better car than I used to have....it's just not FAIR!!!!! I keep it clean....it get's regular checks...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

crazybird . . we are so on the same page. I have gotten to the point these days I try not spend as much time on this board because some days the stories on this board make me so angry I scare myself.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Times like this.....I agree with you What Matters......feel like lighting up a cigarette on Daleys desk and crying about how I'm being denied my Constitutional freedoms,,,,targeted unfairly as a smoker.....point out what wonderful grades I got....the tax money they get, and then want "special" privaleges no-one else has. I am special ya know! Besides....it's LEGAL.

Plus....I don't like paying these high insurance rates anymore.....it's un-fairly targeting us that don't have alot of money.....I had 2 tickets....but I haven't killed anyone or hurt anyone and had a perfect driving record for years.....I'm an adult....I've paid for years.....so I think it's fair that now....I shouldn't have to do it anymore......I mean they're picking on me because I'm getting older....I have a better car than I used to have....it's just not FAIR!!!!! I keep it clean....it get's regular checks...

LOL...RIGHT ON !!!
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

crazybird . . we are so on the same page. I have gotten to the point these days I try not spend as much time on this board because some days the stories on this board make me so angry I scare myself.
    Boy do I understand that......!!!!!!! It really gets to me as well!!!!! I'm surprised I still have a TV and computer......(even though I have gone through a few keyboards).......I mean I'm ready to toss them out the window. My "compassion" level is nill anymore.