Most Commented-On
Stories This Week

Illegal immigrant parents facing aid cut (11
Escondido fire called largest in history (79)
Letters to the Editor - 1/18/2007 (67)
Marine pleads guilty to murder in killing of retired Iraqi police officer (55)
Report: Armed man came closer than reported to Guard troops on Mexico border (52)
Letters to the Editor - 1/17/2007 (4
Letters to the Editor - 1/19/2007 (4
Letters to the Editor - 1/21/2007 (47)
Escondido's largest structure fire in history engulfs construction zone; Chief: Cause was human, no one hurt (46)
Oceanside councilwoman holds meeting with community leaders (42)

http://www.nctimes.com/opinion/

Comments On This Story

AW4cryinoutloud wrote on January 21, 2007 9:32 PM:"If you read the true story of why the two agents went to jail you would understand the case. Sadly groups are misconstruing the facts to make it look like some bizarre conspiracy to convict law enforcement. The real story is that the agents fired shots at a man who was running away. They illegally concealed the fact that shots were fired, and actively hindered the investigation, destroyed evidence, teh list goes on, but you get the idea. They were bad apples who deserved to go to jail"

As Discussed on the Web wrote on January 21, 2007 10:06 PM:"The incident the mainstream media calls a "standoff" was in reality a military-style operation, carried out by a unit of Mexican troops dressed in military uniforms, flak jackets, and armed with AK-47s in an apparent operation to probe the border defenses and test the limits of the National Guard troops. Using easily recognizable infantry movement tactics (such as arm and hand signals and flanking maneuvers), the Mexican unit deliberately moved in a military formation across the border from Mexico, while under surveillance by the National Guard and Border Patrol."

HUH ! Say What? wrote on January 21, 2007 10:41 PM:""The soldiers did exactly what their mission was, to pull back if they're approached by armed personnel coming across the border," Tennessee National Guard spokesman Randy Harris said Saturday. It's not unusual for armed men to cross the border. "That happens on a daily basis", said Major Paul Aguirre, a spokesman for the Arizona Guard."

CCUSA wrote on January 21, 2007 11:35 PM:"I believe that not enforcing our nations laws is treasonous."

Danny wrote on January 22, 2007 12:41 PM:"Absolutley Shameful. This would have never happened in the past. The North American Union scares me, and the secret agendas of our government. http://www.spp.gov/"

THE THIRD MISSION STARTS : wrote on January 22, 2007 6:02 PM:""We're basically assisting the US border patrol, we're going to be observing the border." There's not going to be, there shouldn't be any direct contact with any Tennessee National Guard soldiers or aliens that are trying to cross the border. That's what the border patrol does. We're just there as a presence and assist them with reporting these illegal aliens that are trying to cross the border." "

Peter V wrote on January 22, 2007 6:06 PM:"That mission statement is pretty much what the Mexican Army contingent in Tucson did when approached by the well-armed Mormon Battalion in 1848. They limbered their bronze cannon, saddled up their caballos, and skedaddled southward in the dead of night. The Mormons marched into town the next day without opposition, and their descendents never left. When last I heard, Tucson was Anglo. It is not comforting to know the "mission" of the Tennessee National Guard makes them heroes for orderly withdrawl in the face of armed invasion. Somehow this "exemplary performance" isn't quite what most folks expected, so the military authorities will have some serious explaining to do, I hope. "

Rick wrote on January 22, 2007 6:09 PM:"America’s border communities continue to experience the crush of illegal immigration and are feeling desperate by the federal government’s limited response. The residents of border counties in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas are ready for a border plan that works. The Minutemen patrols along our borders not only highlighted the high level of frustration by those living on the border, it also showed that it is time for a major strategy shift when we think of border security. There are several plans in Congress to address the border security question, but they do not go far enough. Before there can be a comprehensive immigration policy to address the guest worker issue, America must first secure its borders."

chris wrote on January 22, 2007 6:14 PM:"I can imagine the bloody battle this nonviolent confrontation will morph into years from now as these brave guards relate the story of that bloody night in Arizona to their grandchildren. The truth of the matter would never impress someone who didn't understand the nuances of the situation. Count me among that group too. If all they are doing is observing and calling in, it could be done and has been done more cheaply and just as effectively by the Minutemen."

Ingrid ( Soldiers' Wife) wrote on January 22, 2007 6:24 PM:"I guess they will come up with a new medal now for surviving the US/Mexico border."

Mike wrote on January 22, 2007 6:43 PM:"... hate to see Guardsmen on the border as strictly observers but thats the mission they got and the "rules of engagement" that govern military action are pretty explicit. They did what they were ordered to do....do they deserve recognition for simply doing their job? I think not. Too much of this rewarding mediocrity goes on. ...if they would have an engaged a superior force and prevailed some recognition might be in order...."retreat hell", "we are just charging in a different direction" Chesty Puller at the Chosin Reservoir North Korea. "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... _20_07.txt