Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tension Escalates at Immigration Forum

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2006 ... /101220061

Tension escalates at immigration forum
    Greg Schreier
    January 22, 2006

State Rep. Jim Riesberg said Saturday's forum on existing immigration policy was a success, but also shows there is a long way to go to find a viable reform solution.

The forum was the third in a series organized by Riesberg, D-Greeley. Immigration attorneys Kim Salinas, who runs a private practice in Fort Collins, and Penny Gonzales-Soto of Catholic Charities spoke at the Union Colony Dinner Theatre, 802 9th St.

Tensions escalated as discussion among community members shifted toward issues of the cost of immigration, particularly in the areas of education and health care. But Riesberg said the presentation and resulting dialogue showed not only what is currently happening, but also what remains to be done.

"There are many deep-seeded feelings people have, and these are not easily changed," Riesberg said after the forum. "Tension... shows us what we still have to do."

With Colorado's legislative session underway, Riesberg anticipates several pieces of immigration reform legislation will be introduced. Riesberg hopes the forums will enable constituents and legislators to come to an informed decision.

"That's where solutions have to come from, is understanding the reality and complexity of the issue," he said.

Gonzales-Soto and Salinas discussed current immigration policy, as well as some of the myths associated with Spanish-speaking immigrants from not just Mexico, but also Central American countries such as El Salvador and Nicaragua.

Gonzales-Soto described the process for legal entrance into the United States, hoping to illustrate that it is not easy to become a legal resident or citizen.

"What I want to communicate is how difficult the process is," she said, noting that some requests for legal residency can take up to 10 years or more to process.

Many of those present thanked Riesberg for the discussion and information, but some said the forum wasn't enough.

Greeley resident Kathy Ensz said while the forum was important in educating the community, the message failed to reach enough people.

"I would have liked to see the entire population of Weld County here today," Ensz said.

Greeley resident Ricardo Romero, a member of the activist group Latinos Unidos, appreciated the presentation.

"Any time there's a sharing of knowledge and social conditions that people live (in), it has a positive effect," he said.

But Romero said a lack of Latino input diminished the forum's effect.

"These discussions touch a very minimum of the Greeley community. It needs to happen on a much broader scale," he said. "These forums have to have more of an influence from the Latino community."
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"What I want to communicate is how difficult the process is,"
    NOT NEARLY DIFFICULT ENOUGH IN MY OPINION!!!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

A politician from Greeley, an immigration lawyer and a woman from Catholic Charities...........the 2nd paragraph stopped me cold. Bucket please!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Look, after all of the scandals involving the Catholic church in America, they are desperate for new parishioners.

I'm not being mean, just truthful. The Catholic church has lost a lot of money and participating members over the last few years due to high profile scandals involving children.

Some of the Catholic leadership see South and Central America as a replenishing source of devotees.

There is a real conflict inside the church brewing over this issue. I just hope our people exert themselves soon.

Someone needs to form Catholics Against Illegal Immigration or something similar.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I AGREE 100%, William. THEY ARE DESPERATE. And, they are beginning to SOUND THAT WAY TOO. I think they've had ENOUGH NEGATIVE ATTENTION called to them not to want to fan the flames but it sure seems like they are enjoying the attention. Wonder why O'Reilly isn't up in arms about that???
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Yeah, it's not fair to the billions of people who would like to move to the U.S. but that's just the way it has to be.

Catholic Charities is an organization that operates day labor centers around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchdog
    Yeah, it's not fair to the billions of people who would like to move to the U.S. but that's just the way it has to be.

Catholic Charities is an organization that operates day labor centers around the country.
    Oh but the Catholic Church, couldn't do this. Has anyone seen the HBO documentary on the Latin Kings gang. I couldn't believe it. The Church was allowing them to hold there meetings in there and also the priest was giving blessings at the Meetings. I suggest you watch this Documentary. I just watched it for the first time yesterday. Even though HBO tried to make the Latin Kings, Into good Guys.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

OMG The Latin Kings?? Is the Catholic Church THAT desperate??

RR

PS...Don't our immigration laws apply to churces and other do-gooders??
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Yes, our laws apply to them. It is a felony for any institution, church, or local governement to facilitate the hiring of illegal aliens. The law is very clear.

Of course, our laws are not enforced and that is why we are all here.

UM, TheWatchDOG??? I like your avatar but it just doesn't look EXACTLY like a watchdog!!! You're gonna have to change your username to TheWATCHCAT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast