Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tensions flare over Folwell bill on illegal immigrants

Tensions flare over Folwell bill on illegal immigrants in schools

By TRAVIS FAIN | Special Correspondent

RALEIGH --
    The debate over immigration reform led to a tense confrontation and name-calling for state Rep. Dale Folwell, R-Forsyth, the primary sponsor of a bill that would have required school principals to verify a child's citizenship.
    A bill given tentative approval in the House late Tuesday night dropped that provision but would require that principals ask parents for immunization proof and a birth certificate or other proof of an enrolling student's age. The bill passed by a vote of 65-50.
    The N.C. Dream Team, a group of illegal immigrants and mostly young activists whose unofficial slogan is "undocumented and unafraid," called Folwell and other bill sponsors "unprincipled cowards" in a news release May 31. In a follow-up news release Tuesday, the group called him "North Carolina's biggest school bully."
    Folwell, the House speaker pro tem, confronted a Dream Team member about the first news release the next day in a conversation that witnesses described as tense, but not physical.
    Folwell said he questioned the young man — whose name he did not know — about the release, but doesn't think he raised his voice.
    "I tried to have a conversation," Folwell told the Winston-Salem Journal. "I said, 'Listen, you're a man, and I'm a man, and I want to talk to you about what (the word coward) means.' "
    It appears that Folwell spoke to José Rico, a member of the Raleigh-based Dream Team. Rico said Tuesday that he didn't write the "coward" news release himself, but he and others signed off on it. He said Folwell's body language "was very menacing."
    "He was angry," Rico said. "He was really agitated and, with his body language, pointing at me. ... That was really threatening and intimidating."
    Ron Woodard of N.C. Listen, which wants stronger enforcement of immigration laws and other reforms, said he witnessed "the tail end" of Folwell's conversation with Rico. He said Folwell was obviously upset about being called a coward and it was "a tense conversation." But Folwell "was not threatening," Woodard said.
    "I think he was aggravated," Woodard said. "His hands were by his side."
    After the confrontation, Irene Godinez, a lobbyist for the Latin American Coalition, wrote a letter of complaint to Speaker of the House Thom Tillis, asking him to admonish Folwell for "this kind of shameful behavior (that) threatens to stifle much-needed dialogue."
    Godinez said she witnessed the confrontation. She said Folwell also asked her "in a threatening manner" for the names of people who spoke against his bill, House Bill 744, in a public hearing on the matter last week.
    Folwell said he asked for the names because some people — he didn't remember how many — "bragged" to committee members that they were in the United States illegally and there was "nothing we could do about it."
    "It just struck me, the arrogance," Folwell said, "and how broken the system is and how needed my legislation is."
    Godinez said only one speaker revealed her immigration status to the committee. She didn't brag about being illegal, Godinez said, but may have used the Dream Team's slogan that "they're undocumented and unafraid."
    It's not clear how or whether Tillis will respond to Godinez's letter, which was written the same day as the confrontation. This is at least the second time this session a group has written the speaker to complain about a Republican House member's comments. The House's black caucus complained last week about state Rep. Stephen LaRoque, R-Lenoir, who called state NAACP leaders "cowards" and "thugs," according to published reports.
    House Bill 744 is titled the "Safe Students Act." It will still require school principals to get a birth certificate or other medical document from new students, but it originally required principals to ask parents whether their child is a U.S. citizen. The bill said that information "shall be used only for fiscal analysis and shall not be used to deny admission to a child." Federal law requires public schools to accept students regardless of immigration status.
    Several immigration groups saw a deeper intent to Folwell's bill.
    The Dream Team said Tuesday that the bill "serves no other purpose than to discourage parents from enrolling their children in public school."

ctfain@yahoo.com
    The Associated Press contributed to this story.
    http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/ju ... r-1101376/
    * <div>[b]<div>2000 people has visited http://www.dumpgloria.com/ in the last 3 months
    People who believes in God, America, The Bill Of Rights and Limited Government.
    </div>
    </div>

working4change
    Related Thread Here
    Illegal Immigrants in Schools Targeted in Proposed Bill
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-239742-folwell.html+bilkl

I really don't see the problem. All students in my state's schools are required to provide both birth certificate and record of immunization upon registering for school.

I, too, am disgusted and sickened by the arrogance of some of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by noyoucannot
    I really don't see the problem. All students in my state's schools are required to provide both birth certificate and record of immunization upon registering for school.

I, too, am disgusted and sickened by the arrogance of some of these people.
    I thought ALL SCHOOLS in ALL STAES HAD TO DO THIS ALREADY. At least for proof of vaccinations.....

SO SO SO BAD for their little DREAM TEAM of ILLEGAL ALIENS. Time for us to send'em pack'n
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

He said Folwell's body language "was very menacing."
    "He was angry," Rico said. "He was really agitated and, with his body language, pointing at me. ... That was really threatening and intimidating."
    So let me get this straight, Jose calls Folwell a coward in a press release
    then screams like a little girly man when Folwell confronts him. Tell me
    again who the coward is? If you're not man enough to back up your words
    don't say em.

Def
    If the race card is the only card in your hand, you're not playing with a full deck.

Folwell said he asked for the names because some people — he didn't remember how many — "bragged" to committee members that they were in the United States illegally and there was "nothing we could do about it."
    "It just struck me, the arrogance," Folwell said, "and how broken the system is and how needed my legislation is."
    BRAVO Representative Folwell! Yes, we certainly NEED that piece of legislation. Illegals are pouring out of GA. in my wildest dreams I would love to observe and read about them pouring out of NC!