Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Texas candidates for US Senate considering debate in Spanish

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Texas candidates for US Senate considering debate in Spanish

Texas candidates for US Senate considering debate in Spanish

CHRIS TOMLINSON,Associated PressAssociated Press
    Posted: 06/04/2012 03:32:25 PM MDT

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - The two candidates in a run-off for Texas' open U.S. Senate seat are finalizing their debate plans, and one of them could be in Spanish, a campaign spokesman said Monday.
    Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst has agreed to two televised debates, one on Belo Corp. television stations and another on public television, but they are still working to set dates, said campaign spokesman Matt Hirsch. Dewhurst's opponent, Ted Cruz, has suggested holding five debates before the runoff on July 31.

Hispanics make up the fastest growing population in Texas, and the Univision television network has suggested holding one debate in Spanish.

Dewhurst, who served as a CIA officer in Bolivia in the 1970s, speaks Spanish and "would be delighted" to debate Cruz in Spanish, Hirsch said.

Cruz, the son of a Cuban immigrant, expressed doubts to Univision about a Spanish-only debate, saying he isn't fluent and grew up speaking a mix of Spanish and English.

"I think we would have a better debate if it were in English," Cruz said. "Most Texans speak English. Now, after skipping 35 debates all over the state of Texas, suddenly Dewhurst wants to debate in Spanish?"

The men took the top two spots in last week's GOP primary election, with Dewhurst winning 44.6 percent of the vote and Cruz getting 30 percent. They are running for the Republican nomination to replacing retiring GOP Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.

Their primary fight became fierce in the final weeks of the primary with both sides claiming to be more conservative and accusing the other of violating Republican orthodoxy. Many of the claims were clear distortions of the other candidate's record.
    Dewhurst has served as lieutenant governor since 2003, where he presided over the Texas Senate. Touting his conservative record, he has won endorsements from Gov. Rick Perry and most of the state's top Republicans.

Cruz was the state's longest serving solicitor general, an appointed position representing Texas before federal courts. He advocates the tea party movement's policies and has the support of national conservative groups.

The race mirrors other campaigns across the country pitting a veteran Republican against a little-known challenger, with both slides claiming to represent conservative values.

Texas candidates for US Senate considering debate in Spanish - El Paso Times
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

English please: Ted Cruz doesn’t want Senate debate in Spanish

06/04/2012
    By Alexis Levinson - The Daily Caller

Over the weekend, the white Lieutenant Governor of Texas, David Dewhurst challenged his opponent in the Texas Senate race, Ted Cruz, to a debate — in Spanish. Cruz, the Cuban-American former Texas Solicitor General, said he would prefer to debate in English.

Univision reported that Dewhurst made the challenge to Cruz. ”I would welcome a debate with Lt. Gov. Dewhurst in any form,” Cruz told the Spanish-language network. “But I think we would have a better debate if we did the debate in English.”

He explained that as a second generation Cuban American, he grew up speaking “Spanglish.”

“My Spanish is a situation many of your viewers will recognize, which is that as a second generation immigrant, my dad came from Cuba when he was a teenager not speaking English. And I grew up here speaking Spanglish,” Cruz said, shouting out a phrase in half English, half Spanish to illustrate his point.

“That’s the world in which I grew up, and that’s a world in which a lot of second generation immigrants find themselves.”

Dewhurst and Cruz are locked in a Republican primary run-off battle for the Texas Senate seat being vacated by Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison at the end of the year. There is no viable Democratic candidate, and given the demographics of the state, whoever wins the primary run-off on July 31 will take the seat.

Texas has a huge Hispanic population, being a border state, and that demographic will be hugely important for both candidates.

Dewhurst is clearly making a play for that vote.

“I’m only asking who Ted Cruz is,” Dewhurst told Univision, speaking in poorly accented Spanish. He doesn’t have a proven record. We don’t know who he is.”

Contacted by The Daily Caller, Cruz campaign spokesman John Drogin did not comment on the Spanish-language debate challenge.

“This is the real story,” Drogin said, referring to an invitation Cruz accepted to participate in some debates held by local conservative activists. “Will Dewhurst show up to these debates? Any others? He says he’s willing … but we’ll see!”

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Let's see - only citizens can vote, citizenship requires a working knowledge of English. Why do we need debates in Spanish?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AAaahhh, man about the time I thought I may be coming to a decision here on this race....aaahhh, man, again, for one reason or the other a racee offering poor quality candidates. HELP, enlighten me, offer guidance for consideration. But, if a debate a spanish occurs, I speak American english, so I won't vote for either if this debate happens. Cannot vote for one that does'nt consider me important enough to speak to!! If they will not speak to me why would I trust them to speak FOR me!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hispanics make up the fastest growing population in Texas, and the Univision television network has suggested holding one debate in Spanish."

So because we have a fast growing hispanic population, we should speak 'their' language? They came here and should know english! All other cultures have learned the language, we shouldn't cater to lazy people who have no desire to learn and speak the language of the country they came to!