Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Texas congressman disputes story

Texas congressman disputes story

last updated: August 27, 2007 03:39:24 AM

The article "Border effort against Mexicans works, as fewer cross and more are deported" (Aug. 12, Page A-12), by The Associated Press, contained an exaggerated statement for which the writer gave no supporting evidence.

The writer stated "fields are empty at harvest time as workplace raids become common." The opposite is true -- crops are being harvested and workplace raids are not common, though American workers would benefit if they were.

In addition, despite the dire predictions of crops rotting in the fields due of lack of farm labor, even the U.S. Department of Agriculture can't point to any confirmed reports of such crop losses.

There are more than 7 million illegal immigrants working in the United States. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the agency responsible for investigating businesses that hire illegal labor, fined only four employers for hiring illegal immigrants in 2005 (the last year for which figures are available). If workplace raids were "common," as the author suggests, the number of fines would be much higher.

With respect to the implied labor shortage, there is no lack of farm labor that a decent wage, the use of legal temporary workers and mechanization of harvesting crops won't cure.

LAMAR SMITH

member of Congress (R-Texas)

Washington, D.C.

http://www.modbee.com/opinion/letters/story/52567.html

once again what MSM says and the truth have nothing in common.

However, I DO notice that lots of vegetables and fruits are rotting on the store shelves because the prices got jacked up so high to pay for the "cheap labor" that was supposed to keep the prices down.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cheap labor is not keeping the prices down on anything in this country including the so called cheap junk from china. Stop buying anything unnecessary or that is not made in the USA, globalization is going to do them no good if they are not moving their cheap goods here.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I agree, SOSAD, I was just commenting that they used lower prices to keep the "cheap labor" here yet the prices have quadrupled to a point where people can't afford to buy produce until it rots on the store shelf and they have to lower the price or throw it in the dumpster. And, of course, people don't want to buy rotten veggies at all so what did they gain?

One of the main things I've noticed having major problems is watermelons. They are picked by illegals here and they started out at 6 or 8 bucks each even though they are grown here. They sat all summer until a week or two ago when the prices had to come down or they were going to get dumped in the dumpsters. Now that the price has come down, they sold, but angry people are taking them back to the stores because they are no good anymore.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by JuniusJnr
    I agree, SOSAD, I was just commenting that they used lower prices to keep the "cheap labor" here yet the prices have quadrupled to a point where people can't afford to buy produce until it rots on the store shelf and they have to lower the price or throw it in the dumpster. And, of course, people don't want to buy rotten veggies at all so what did they gain?

One of the main things I've noticed having major problems is watermelons. They are picked by illegals here and they started out at 6 or 8 bucks each even though they are grown here. They sat all summer until a week or two ago when the prices had to come down or they were going to get dumped in the dumpsters. Now that the price has come down, they sold, but angry people are taking them back to the stores because they are no good anymore.
    Oh I agreeing with you completely, I was just backing up your statement, and I would rather see their stuff rot on the selves than people pay their over inflated prices

I keep telling my daughter where are all the cheap prices from the cheap labor!! You know what makes me so made is they think we are so stupid!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)