Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Texas Officials Want Wider River, Not Higher Fences

Texas Officials Want Wider River, Not Higher Fences

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:12 PM

By: Clayton R. Reid

Mayors in historic towns along the Texas-Mexico border say the way to thwart illegal immigration is to make the Rio Grande wider, deeper and harder to cross.

The officials in cities such as Brownsville, El Paso and Laredo want feds to halt ongoing efforts to build a 700-mile border fence through their communities.

The fence, many complain, cedes thousands of acres of U.S. land to Mexico, splits historic towns in two, and cuts farmers off from their primary water supplies.

On top of that, the fence won’t curb immigration and sends a bad message to the rest of the world. Widening the river, they maintain, is a more effective and environmentally friendly way to stop illegal immigration and smuggling.

“We want to create a weir dam that would hold river water back to keep it from just flowing out into the Gulf,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

These people are full of it! They are probably the same ones that are in favor of taking millions of acres of land to build the NAFTA highway that will allow more illegals in and more American jobs out!
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Full of it - yes and no.

I had never thought of it before - but this isn't like fencing off some desert land.

This is fencing off a river that has been part of those people lives and heritage. Their cattle do drink from it, they fish, swim, etc.

They still irrigate out of the Rio Grande, I think. I do know a few years ago, it was discussed that Mexico was diverting more than their share of water from the river and our government was doing nothing about it. This was hurting the farmers in the Rio Grande Valley.

But how will they irrigate if there is a fence? Never, ever thought about that before. Certainly accomodations could be made, but imagine how the illegals would damage the equipment just for spite.

Now making it wider, etc., would probably be a good thing for the farmers and ranchers along the river, don't know it it will dissuade the illegals much.

But that fence would virtually give the river to Mexico - think about it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OMG...are people so nearsighted? Put the fence in the middle of the river! It doesn't have to be water proof, just people proof!

Banned
    Actually, widening the river where possible is a GREAT idea!

It's alot cheaper than the fence, it provides access for farmers and fishermen, it doesn't 'mar the landscape' and it would be an effective deterrent.

There's alot of merit in this.

OK on the surface widening the river sounds good. I don't know much about the area but they have mentioned levees already exhisting. This means more water more chances for flooding. What about the ecological effects of changing the amount of water present? They mentioned something about reeds of some kind going away. What consequences does this have on the wildlife? More water means a great deal more problems than a fence does.

Pinestrawguys It does deserve some thought.

No, I would certainly vote no to a fence in the middle.

You're right it does deserve some thought. I don't know which way I would go really. I am simplying playing devils advocate here. I am however tired of people looking for excuses not to do something to secure our border.

I would say more water in that area would be a positive not a negative.

As for levees, I will admit I haven't seen the Rio Grande except in El Paso in 40 years, but I don't recall all that many levees along the river. But even if they do have the levees and if they built the fence there - they are still giving Mexico the entire Rio Grande River.

I don't know that widening the river will do all that much to stop illegal immigration, but then I don't think a fence will do it either - and I am not ready to give Mexico the Rio Grande River.

I am afraid in a short time, they will give all of Texas to Mexico - but not a piece at a time.

Why don't we put all that money, all that time, all that manpower into enforcing interior laws. If they don't have jobs, don't get freebies, and BP is able to shoot or apprehend and prosecute drug smugglers - we won't need a fence.

I don't know that much about the area to comment but if they make the river wider it does not mean there will be more water just more room for what water is there so you will have a wider and more shallow river.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast