Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thankful it wasn't worse

As Debbie Malin surveyed the wreckage of her living room Thursday afternoon, she couldn't help but feel lucky.

A motorist had crashed his car into the room early that morning, smashing more than 6 feet through a load-bearing wall before backing out and fleeing the scene.

Rafael Bustos Police say he admitted that he had consumed "five or six" beers.

JASON CLARK / Courier & Press Debbie Malin tries to stay cool while standing in her living room on Thursday surveying the damage caused by the crash.
    Left in his wake were scattered bricks, strands of insulation, shattered family heirlooms, a few random car parts and a gaping hole.

But despite the destruction, Malin was thankful it wasn't worse: If it had happened anywhere else in the house, the car might have hit Malin or her daughter.

"I feel pretty fortunate — all this stuff is material," Malin said, pointing to a pile of debris. "I just thank God my daughter is alive. Ten feet over, it would have crashed right into the window where she was sitting."

Rafael G. Bustos, 32, was arrested and preliminarily charged with causing the hit-and-run crash and driving while intoxicated. He reportedly admitted to police having consumed "five or six" beers before driving and had a blood-alcohol level of .18.

Police say Bustos was traveling at a high rate of speed shortly before 1 a.m. when he turned onto southbound Ashbrooke Road from Stonebridge Road and crashed through Malin's nearby yard, onto the porch and into the home. When he pulled away, he left behind more than $25,000 in damages, according to the accident report.

Speaking Thursday between calls from family, friends and insurance adjusters, Malin said the incident has left her shaken.

She had been in bed for only 20 minutes when a thunderous boom and the sound of glass breaking awakened her.

Fearing a break-in, Malin, her teenage daughter, Amy, and Amy's dog, Toby, secluded themselves in a bedroom and called police.

It wasn't until investigators arrived several minutes later that they ventured into the living room to see what actually happened.

"I lost it then," Malin said. "I lost it when I walked out there. All I thought was 'Oh my God, this can't be happening.'"

Malin, who missed two of her three jobs while staying home waiting for the hole to be repaired Thursday, said her landlord's insurance should cover the structural damage, but she did not have renter's insurance to cover the interior items.

Among those lost were a chair, a stereo, a homemade shelf, a number of framed photos and a collection of antique glassware her grandparents brought from Germany in the 1920s.

"That just breaks my heart," Malin said of the glassware.

Amy, who turns 15 today and will be a freshman at Central High School in the fall, said her biggest concern was the safety of her dog, who usually sleeps directly where the car came in. But he was fine, and Amy said her family can overcome everything else.

"It's sad because this has been my home forever," she said.

"But I think about people who look at their houses now that live down in New Orleans and went through Katrina. I can live through this. It's not going to scar me for life. We can fix this."

A fund has been set up through Old National Bank for donations to help Mailin cover costs associated with clean-up, repair and replacement costs for damages and lost items from the wreck. Donations can be made at any Old National location.

Police arrested Bustos shortly after the crash after finding him and the vehicle they believe he was driving at an apartment complex in the 700 block of Fairway Drive.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed in the case, Bustos told police he had hit something near a school and a house, but he was unsure what.

Bustos' eyes were glassy and bloodshot, the affidavit said, and he had trouble standing during questioning at the apartment. He reportedly lives at the apartment complex, but gave police a Washington state driver's license.

Bond had not been set yet for Bustos Thursday afternoon and officials were reportedly still deciding if his charges were misdemeanors or felonies.

Malin said the whole incident bothers her, but it is particularly troublesome knowing that Bustos allegedly had been drinking and that he drove off without even checking to see if he had hurt anyone.

"That really got to me," she said.

"How can someone be that irresponsible and uncaring? That just blows me away how somebody could do that."

Your Turn
    Posted by whatIsee on June 15, 2007 at 5:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Saddly,this reminds me of a line in a Jerry Reed song. Only the direction is different. Hope they do ok.

Posted by saywhat on June 15, 2007 at 5:49 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Does Bustos have insurance? If so, it should cover replacing her damaged items.

Is Bustos Illegal? (I note insurance and legal status weren't addressed in the article) If so, ICE needs to be called and he needs to go back where he belongs.

Posted by concernedcitizen1 on June 15, 2007 at 5:55 a.m. (Suggest removal)

no saywhat a couple of posters on here stated last night that they knew and his family and said he was illegal. Which means, no valid drivers license or insurance.

Posted by SteveD13 on June 15, 2007 at 5:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Can you say ILLEGAL Alien? I will be emailing this to our wonderful Senators who are grapling with the decision to either listen to and follow the wishes of Americans, or, listen to illegals. Evansville and the surrounding areas have a big problem and no ones covering it.Where is the illegal word in this article? I think we should investigate some companies and see who is hiring them. Does anyone know the number for ICE here in Evansville because the Police aren't allowed to do anything. Remember the illegal who hit the bus, went to the hospital, and then left? Who paid for that?

Posted by SGT_SHLITZ on June 15, 2007 at 6:13 a.m. (Suggest removal)

What is it with those "people"?

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/j ... /#comments
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.

Put this man to work rebuilding the house and then building the fence that DHS cannot do. There is already money to buy materials, they just need workers and there are plenty of illegals who we could use to build all the fence.

Beckyal,
    Sounds good to me. Let's makes sure they are working from the Mexican side of the fence.
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckyal
    Put this man to work rebuilding the house and then building the fence that DHS cannot do. There is already money to buy materials, they just need workers and there are plenty of illegals who we could use to build all the fence.
    No, put an American to work rebuilding her house, and have this scumbag pay his wages.
    Just your ordinary, average, everyday, American mom!