Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

They built America???

this story

By PETER PRENGAMAN
    Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES

Thousands of immigration advocates marched through downtown Los Angeles in one of the largest demonstrations for any cause in recent U.S. history.

More than 500,000 protesters _ demanding that Congress abandon attempts to make illegal immigration a felony and to build more walls along the border _ surprised police who estimated the crowd size using aerial photographs and other techniques, police Cmdr. Louis Gray Jr. said.

Wearing white T-shirts to symbolize peace, the demonstrators chanted "Mexico!" "USA!" and "Si se puede," an old Mexican-American civil rights shout that means "Yes, we can."

In Denver, more than 50,000 people protested downtown Saturday, according to police who had expected only a few thousand. Phoenix was similarly surprised Friday when an estimated 20,000 people gathered for one of the biggest demonstrations in city history, and more than 10,000 marched in Milwaukee on Thursday.

"We construct your schools. We cook your food," rapper Jorge Ruiz said after performing at a Dallas rally that drew 1,500. "We are the motor of this nation, but people don't see us. Blacks and whites, they had their revolution. They had their Martin Luther King. Now it is time for us."

Many protesters said lawmakers were unfairly targeting immigrants who provide a major labor pool for America's economy.

"Enough is enough of the xenophobic movement," said Norman Martinez, 63, who immigrated from Honduras as a child and marched in Los Angeles. "They are picking on the weakest link in society, which has built this country."

The U.S. House of Representatives has passed legislation that would make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally, impose new penalties on employers who hire illegal immigrants, require churches to check the legal status of people they help, and erect fences along one-third of the U.S.-Mexican border.

The Senate is to begin debating the proposals on Tuesday.

President Bush on Saturday called for legislation that does not force America to choose between being a welcoming society and a lawful one.

"America is a nation of immigrants, and we're also a nation of laws," Bush said in his weekly radio address, discussing an issue that had driven a wedge into his own party.

Bush sides with business leaders who want to let some of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants stay in the country and work for a set period of time. Others, including Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, say national security concerns should drive immigration reform.

But many protesters rejected claims the national security claim, noting that the legislation would hurt Hispanics the most.

"When did you ever see a Mexican blow up the World Trade Center? Who do you think built the World Trade Center?" said David Gonzalez, 22, who marched in Los Angeles with a sign that read, "I'm in my homeland.'"

Between 5,000 and 7,000 people gathered Saturday in Charlotte, carrying signs with slogans such as "Am I Not a Human Being?" In Sacramento, more than 4,000 people protested immigration legislation at an annual march honoring the late farm labor leader Cesar Chavez.

The demonstrations are expected to culminate April 10 in a "National Day of Action" organized by labor, immigration, civil rights and religious groups.

___

Associated Press writers Bob Jablon and Kim Nguyen contributed to this report.

Their rapper is starting civil unrest here...mark my words!!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

yes, of course...they built this country...you know they did. There were no lazy worthless Americans in on any of the work..nor did we float bond issues...nor pay taxes to afford the infrastructure that they so envy. All the materials just suddenly appeared so they could create a wealthy nation.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

there was a rally in dallas? shit i wanted to go if there was.. i had no clue.

Not only did they built America, they paid for it too.
    "We have room for but one flag, the American flag" - Theodore Roosevelt

Gross pay for most jobs is higher in the United States than in most other countries. That makes them attractive to people from other countries. The reason that a lot of jobs in America are held by the illegal aliens is that they undercut the previous pay rate. The pay rate that poor Americans were bargaining for to maintain themselves in America's higher cost structure.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by lc0130
    Yeah I heard alot of that "We pay taxes" crap yesterday on the news coverage of the protest. I worked with some illegals who thought that "paying taxes" was the SALES TAX you pay on items you buy . They had NO CLUE about the state, local, and federal taxes that eat us alive, because these illegals were paid in cash, under the table. I reported the company to www.wehirealiens.com, by the way . Also, I had an illegal who was paid by payroll check, tell me how they get out of paying the state and federal tax(and the companies will help them with this, too). She said that they claim the maximum number of dependents an their with-holdings, leaving them paying ONLY the medicare tax. Then, the next year, they change their SS#'s and names, and alot of the companies help them do this. Some will quit their jobs, only to come back to work at the same place a couple of weeks later, and WA LA, Jose Hernendez is now Juan Rodriguez! This is a well known practice here in my area of NC.
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

I read that article, and had this instant image of Cheech and Chong smoking a big OLD FATTIE and telling some reporter....yeah man, we built this place you know, laid the bricks and every thing man...yeah, we stole them from out back of the cantina and here you go man, look at this building!

They want this legislation, and want our jobs because any jobs here pays FIVE TIMES more here than in Mexico.

Pinto Bean
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by rebellady1964
    Quote Originally Posted by lc0130
    Yeah I heard alot of that "We pay taxes" crap yesterday on the news coverage of the protest. I worked with some illegals who thought that "paying taxes" was the SALES TAX you pay on items you buy . They had NO CLUE about the state, local, and federal taxes that eat us alive, because these illegals were paid in cash, under the table. I reported the company to www.wehirealiens.com, by the way . Also, I had an illegal who was paid by payroll check, tell me how they get out of paying the state and federal tax(and the companies will help them with this, too). She said that they claim the maximum number of dependents an their with-holdings, leaving them paying ONLY the medicare tax. Then, the next year, they change their SS#'s and names, and alot of the companies help them do this. Some will quit their jobs, only to come back to work at the same place a couple of weeks later, and WA LA, Jose Hernendez is now Juan Rodriguez! This is a well known practice here in my area of NC.
    You are right, RebelLady, and for the few that actually pay any payroll taxes those slave wages they work for don't generate much in taxes.

Speaking of taxes versus what illegal aliens use in welfare, about two days ago I got in line after one lady who was speaking Spanish and didn't appear to know English. It took her a very long time to check out while she goofed off, played with her baby and asked for two baloons for the baby because the first one she let go of and it floated to the ceiling. Then she took her sweet old time moooovvvvving her behind out of the checkout lane so I could place my items on the belt and then get to the debit/credit machine.

The only thing she was buying was a case of baby formula. This stuff is expensive and the case must have had 6-8 cannisters or more. The baby appeared to be less than six months old. Whatever happened to breast feeding??? That is more healthy and sure would have saved us taxpayers some money because this lady paid with what look like WIC vouchers and she had to sign each one and veerrrryyy slowwwwllly. She sure took her sweet old time through the lane coo-cooing to her baby and was oblivious that others such as me were behind her in line giving her filthy looks and tapping the old fingers and feet. I'm not known for patience. I realize that the USA has a faster pace of life than many other countries; still, if you come here you must conform to our culture and habits not the other way around. So, get used to the rushed and busy life and move your tail feathers faster because some of us have busy schedules, are pressed for time, and don't have the patience for rude people who hold us up unnecessarily in checkout lines.

I also get bent out of shape by people who go through express lanes with "just a few" extra items, take their sweet old time writing a check, block lanes with their carts, etc. Grrrhhhh! I'm known for frequently speaking up and I'm surprised I have not yet gotten into any grocery cart bashing fights.

I forgot to say VIVA LA MIGRA but did catch the eye of the cashier before the customer in front of me finished and said, "This lady sure is taking her sweet old time." Lot of good it probably did because I don't believe she could speak any English. When my turn finally came I mentioned to the cashier the illegal alien problems. She told me that her husband became sick and could not work for three months, lost his job because of this and was denied any type of aid.

I know just the two things I need to help me deal with these frustrations: A prescription for valium and an electric prod.

P.S. As far as the original article of the recent protests, all I can say is they sure are VERY VERY arrogant to demand the USA cater to them.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Re: They built America???

". . . which has built this country."
    No, this country was built by the blood, sweat, and tears of our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers, who were citizens, not by those mooching leaches who sneak across our border illegally!!! I find it extremely offensive and a great insult to all those men and women who worked and sacrificed to build this country, for them to say they built this country!! They no more built this country than I built Mexico or France!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

We construct your schools. We cook your food," rapper Jorge Ruiz said after performing at a Dallas rally that drew 1,500. "We are the motor of this nation, but people don't see us. Blacks and whites, they had their revolution. They had their Martin Luther King. Now it is time for us."
    This display of attitude and cultural bias is exactly why Jorge Ruiz would NOT make a good citizen. This man is a racist. He has, llike many other latinos, have been brainwahed into thinking that they actually drive this country's economy. People will continue NOT to see you, Jorge, as long as you are illegal. What do you mean by "its our turn"?

Sounds not only racist but sounds like a threat to me.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast