Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Those living along the border react to SB1070

Those living along the border react to SB1070
    Reporter: Sergio Avila

NOGALES, Ariz. (KGUN9-TV) - It's been just over a week since Governor Jan Brewer signed a controversial immigration bill into law. People from all over the country have been weighing in. So KGUN 9 News wanted to hear from those who live along the border in Nogales. The law will allow police officers to question someone's legal status if they have a "reasonable suspicion" the person may be in

"It's way overdue because the problem is getting worse and worse," Kurt Schley, a Rio Rico, resident, said. Schley tells us the federal government should have acted on this issue before Arizona did.

"It's their responsibility to do something about the illegal immigration. They dropped the ball and somebody else had to do it," Schley said.

But of course the majority in this city is on the other side of this argument.

"I don't think the police should have anything to do with them. The police takes care of some stuff, they shouldn't be taking care of the illegals that are trying to come. That's the other people's job, the customs and all that stuff," Denise Valencia, a Nogales resident, said.

In Nogales the border is part of these people's lives, so I asked them if they think this law will help stop illegal immigration.

"It's very hard for me to think that with this law people are no longer going to cross or with this law that everything is going to stop," Maria Benitez, a Sonora resident, said.

"Hopefully I think it will be a tiny part of the puzzle but it's a start after so many years of nothing happening," Schley said.

Another thing the folks along the border were telling me was that they hope this law doesn't scare away would be shoppers who come over from Mexico to spend. Nogales' economy relies on those shoppers in order to do well.

We spoke to some of those Mexican shoppers and they tell me they would be more aware and cautious about being here but that most of them would still come because believe it or not they can find the bare necessities cheaper here than in Mexico.

http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?s=12413239
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

This is the first comment posted on this article...

Terri Woodhouse
    I am proud to be 100% Mexican, my father is a Naturalized U.S. Citizen born in Auga Prieta, Mexico and my maternal grandfather worked for the Mexican Aduanas many years ago. Having said that, I wonder how many of you that oppose the SB1070 Immigration Law really care about what is truly important and not a coverup to continue to do what's easy. What about all the illegal immigrants that come to the U.S. to have babies for free (free to them and not to our economy)? What about the problem that teachers and police officers are being laid off because of the economy? When someone is breaking in to your house or you require emergency help, who do you call? Not the illegal immigrants. What about all the young woman and children that the United States supports financially and medically that are illegal immigrants but U.S. citizens can't qualify for that kind of help because they earned $12.00 too much? What about the 1 million criminal aliens in the United States? Where are the protests to help those causes?

This protest is about people wanting to have everything handed to them instead of working for it, like the rest of us that believe in the American (not Mexican) dream. You people protesting know that this is not about racism, but only about continuing to live for free and the worst part is many will continue to qualifiy for medical and financial benefits because one can't provide proof of income when you are a narcotics or alien smuggler. It's rather difficult to provide proof of income in that occupation. If a police officer asking me for identification or Border Patrol trunking me is something I must go through in order to continue to live in this great country, I think it's a small price to pay. It's because of the criminals that we must endure the inconvenience of being asked to prove our citizenship. We wonder why children are the way they are today.

Why doesn't illegal immigrants shooting United States law enforcement bring about protests? This country is already almost Mexico. Look around (UMC parking lot, Tucson Mall, all Walmarts........) I love Mexico, so I visit Mexico. Then I come home to this great country that I would hate to see change into Mexico. Calderon tells his people not to travel into the United States, well easy for him to say. How does he earn his money? He probably doesn't drink yellow milk and put Mexican gas in his vehicle and neither will the others. So boycott all you want, you need the United States more then it needs you. Self service, I see it everyday. Accept the law and abide by it, illegal means illegal. As for any opposing law enforcment officer in the United States, shame on you. Be a true leader and not a follower. Appreciate this great country and don't have regrets later.

http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?s=12413239
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)