Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thousands expected at NJ immigration event

Am I reading this incorrectly or did only "hundreds" show up when they expected "thousands"?
    Posted on Sat, Apr. 25, 2009

Thousands expected at NJ immigration event

The Associated Press

ELIZABETH, N.J. - Citing the need to correct "serious flaws" in the nation's immigration system, hundreds of people came to a New Jersey church on Saturday for a town meeting led by a federal lawmaker.

The "Family Unity" day event was part of a national effort to end deportations and raids that immigration activists say destroy families.

"There are millions of people across the United States who suffer on a daily basis because of an immigration system that stopped working years ago," said Martin Perez, who heads the Latino Leadership Alliance of New Jersey, which co-sponsored the forum at the Iglesia Jesucristo el Senor church.

"Some children are forced to live apart from their parents, while others (illegal immigrants) live in the shadows, hoping they will not be victims of a workplace raid or knock on the door of their residences," Perez told the crowd of about 1,000 people, which included U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., and other officials.

The "Family Unity" tour is part of a national campaign led by Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill. It's goal is to raise awareness about flaws in the immigration system, and build support for an overhaul.

The consortium of churches, national and local immigration advocates has held prayer vigils, town-hall meetings and rallies in about 20 U.S. cities in recent months.

In New Jersey, activists say thousands of illegal immigrants have been arrested in their homes in pre-dawn raids, and then deported, in recent years. Gutierrez and other critics have characterized the raids as overzealous efforts that separate families and do little to address illegal immigration.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/n ... event.html

Luis Guiterrez, the churches, and illegal immigration advocates are going to be sorely disappointed. If Luiz Guiterrez doesn't see fit to support our laws, their enforcement, and stand with US citizens who want our borders secured, our immigration, labor and civil rights laws enforced to the letter and dime, then maybe Illinois should find a Congressperson from his district who does.

Make 2010 the end of Luis Guiterrez in the US Congress.

Wake Up America!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I heard about all kinds of workplace raids but when they go to a home they have a warrant for wanted criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelrouser
    I heard about all kinds of workplace raids but when they go to a home they have a warrant for wanted criminals.
    They have the right under immigration law to inspect or "raid" work places any time they want. They don't need warrants to inspect a business to ensure they're complying with US immigration, US labor and US civil rights laws and when they aren't arrest the employers and employees violating our laws. OSHA does the same thing.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Fix the 14th Amendment against Anchor Babies and deport entire family. None can entry country ever again.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Menendez

Menendez is oblivious to anything other then securing votes for his next campaign. The problem is we are stuck with him for 8 more years. I've written to him regarding illegal immigration and he THANKS me for my support. Duh, I was not supporting his position but according to him I was...........typical politician.

I hope Menendez didn't wear a mask

Some children are forced to live apart from their parents, while others (illegal immigrants) live in the shadows, hoping they will not be victims of a workplace raid or knock on the door of their residences
    Marching through the streets is hardly "living in the shadows". Neither is demanding in-state college tuition or displacing American students. K-12 education is also quite a bargain for them, right out in the open, standing on corners waiting for their free bus ride. Go have your pity party back in Mexico.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)