Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thrown Bottle Sparks Confrontation During Protests LA

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_121214138.html

(CBS) LOS ANGELES Violence broke out between immigration rights advocates and police officers Tuesday after a day of peaceful marching through downtown Los Angeles.

About 10,000 people waving American and Mexican flags marched from City Hall to MacArthur Park, including 1,480 Los Angeles Unified School District students. Organizers had predicted lower turnout, blaming stepped-up immigration raids, frustration that Congress hasn't passed immigration reform, and an effort by many groups to shift their focus from street mobilizations to citizenship and voter registration drives.

The violence stemmed from the throwing of a bottle at police officers, dressed in riot gear, who acted quickly to quell the disturbance.

Though fewer in number, protesters did show up in cities from Miami to Chicago to Los Angeles. But amid the waving flags, hand-painted signs and chants, many protesters' frustration was palpable.

"After working 22 years here, paying taxes and being a good citizen, I think it's fair they give me residency," said Los Angeles protester Manuel Hernandez, 38-year-old Mexican who along with his wife and two children is undocumented. "It's not fair we don't have documents."

In Los Angeles, where May 1 protests in 2006 brought out several hundred thousand at various activities, about 25,000 came out for a downtown rally, said police Capt. Andrew Smith. A second rally was expected Tuesday evening.

After massive marches in the spring of 2006, the Senate passed a sweeping bill that would have provided a path to citizenship for many of the nation's 12 million illegal immigrants.

But the bill was never reconciled with the then-Republican-controlled House, and legislation has languished since last summer. Subsequent bipartisan proposals, which have not been formally taken up by Congress, have gotten more conservative.

Meanwhile, federal immigration raids and deportations are increasing.

In fiscal year 2006, federal immigration officials deported 195,024 people, compared with 173,363 the previous year, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement data. Six months into the current fiscal year, 125,405 have been deported.

Protesters said that while anger over raids brought some people out, fear also kept many at home.

Schoolteacher David Cid said his students were suffering because raids had separated families. Los Angeles County has about 1 million illegal immigrants, the largest concentration in America.

"They feel terrorized," said Cid, who declined to give more details about where he works to protect his students.

Democratic Party chairman Howard Dean told immigrant supporters in Miami that a reform bill before Congress was "insane" because it would require many illegal immigrants to return home before applying for citizenship.

"This is a government that can't find a 6-foot-4 terrorist. How is it going to find 12 million people?" he told a group of more than 100 party supporters at Miami's Parrot Jungle Island.

Some groups had called for an economic boycott and hoped for a repeat of last year, when thousands of immigrants and students stayed away from work and school in a sign of solidarity.

Other groups rejected the boycott, arguing it puts immigrants' livelihoods at risk and deprives children of valuable classroom time.

For Eliseo Medina -- executive vice president of the Service Employees International Union, a major organizer of rallies last year that has shifted to citizenship and voter registration drives -- it's clear what's needed.

"For the future, we'll need to have a more organized movement, and we are on the way to building that," she said.

I feel terrorized and I'm an American. I've had run ins with illegals more than one time and I did not feel safe!! I want them out of my country!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"After working 22 years here, paying taxes and being a good citizen, I think it's fair they give me residency," said Los Angeles protester Manuel Hernandez, 38-year-old Mexican who along with his wife and two children is undocumented. "It's not fair we don't have documents."

You're right, manuel, it's not fair that you don't have documents. You should never have been here, it seems. It's also not fair that you took a job and prosperity from an American for 22 years! Now, as you said, you have no documentation, so go home!!

This recording did not show the police shooting rubber bullets at the crowd.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

We Americans can not be bullied by these criminals

I'm tired of these bully tactics used by these illegal immigrants and those that support their illegal actions. ICE needs to be put out in force and our Government needs to act and enforce the laws. I say no to amnesty and no to a guest worker program. If these undocumented law breakers get what they want, it would be just a matter of time before every other undocumented person from any country bullies their way into the United States demanding rights not due them. I work hard and pay taxes. I never signed anything stating that part of my taxes would be given to support illegal undocumented aliens so that they can get free medical treatment or free education for their children, so then why is part of my hard earned money going into the pockets of the undocumented. My children want to go to college, but they can't afford it. Yet, many US colleges have undocumented students with mostly free tuition. Undocumented children fill our grade schools, get free medical aide when I can barely afford medical insurance for my own family. I say enough is enough. I'm not a hater, but I will not be bullied by criminals. If your country is screwed up, then rally and protest there to make changes for the better. If these undocumented protesters used as much energy protesting in their own countries for a better life, then maybe they would not have to sneak to the United States and benefit from the blood, sweat and tears that were shed to make America great.

Chief Bratton says officer behavior may have been inappropriate. Click here for the story and here for the video clip. You'll have to hurry for the clip 'cuz it's the lead story on the KTLA TV 5 Los Angeles home page. Seems to me, if these scofflaws, dressed in black trousers and shirts, replete with masks, a la, al Qaeda, throw bottles and rocks at policemen, response with batons and rubber bullets is very restrained. Rocks are life threatening, no less than guns and autos.
    '58 Airedale