Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TN: "BREATHES NEW LIFE" IN HIGHWAY PATROL BILL/IMM

Well, the bill is making a comback of sorts. Republicans and Democrats will do a swap. We will trade you credit for our bill, if we can revive ours. Geez, can these people just do the right thing without the game playing.

Deal lifts deadlock on two immigration bills

Each party agrees to pass legislation other side wants approved

By TOM HUMPHREY, tomhumphrey3@aol.com
    March 31, 2007

NASHVILLE - Republican and Democratic legislators have reached a so-called "gentlemen's agreement" - there are ladies involved, too - to resolve a partisan dispute blocking passage of two bills that affect illegal immigrants.
    Under the arrangement, as outlined by some of those involved, two things will happen:

A Republican-sponsored bill killed in a Democrat-dominated House subcommittee March 20 will be revived and approved. The measure gives the Highway Patrol clear legal authority to negotiate an agreement with federal authorities that will allow state troopers to enforce federal immigration laws. It already has passed the Senate.
    Republicans in the Senate, meanwhile, would agree to passage of a bill sponsored by Democrats at the request of Gov. Phil Bredesen that abolishes the "driver's certificate" program, which was suspended by the governor last year.
    Lawmakers in both parties support repeal of the certificate program, widely criticized as subject to abuse by illegal immigrants. The Senate has approved a bill sponsored by Sen. Bill Ketron, R-Murfreesboro, that is stalled in the House.

The House, meanwhile, has advanced a Democrat-sponsored version and left the Republican-sponsored bill stranded. Because identical bills must pass both the House and Senate to become law, the situation raised the possibility of a stalemate.

The upshot of the deal is that Republicans will get credit for the Highway Patrol bill; Democrats for the certificate repeal bill. Both measures, further, will be officially bipartisan, with Republicans co-sponsoring the Democratic bill and Democrats co-sponsoring the Republican bill.

Ketron said senators would wait to see if House Democrats fulfill their end of the bargain first, resurrecting the Highway Patrol immigration bill. The measure, sponsored by Rep. Delores Gresham, R-Somerville, has been scheduled for a new vote Tuesday before the subcommittee that killed it earlier.

"If they've breathed new life into Delores' bill, that is good for the people of Tennessee," said Ketron. "I want to make sure they honor that gentleman's agreement."
    http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/artic ... 93,00.html
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wow, a double win!!

I will pray that they pass, but I don't have much faith that one or the other will actually pass them both. I hope they both amaze me!
    He ain't heavy, he's my Brother
    Â*http://www.alsa.org/