Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TN :City Holds Rally Against Illegal Immigration

City Holds Rally Against Illegal Immigration

July 21, 2007 07:35 PM EDT

Springfield is seeing an increase in its population, but residents of the town are upset about who is moving in.

Saturday, dozens of residents held a rally against illegal immigration. They said the illegal immigrants cause major problems including taking jobs away from United State citizens, causing property damage, and clogging up lines at the doctor's office.

Residents held the rally at City Hall Saturday afternoon. Protest organizers called for illegal immigrants to return to their home countries and apply for legal citizenship in the United States, and many expressed frustration with the federal government's efforts to secure the country's borders.

While officials in Springfield acknowledged the growing immigrant population in town does cause some problems, they pointed out that immigrants are also a vital part of the local economy. Springfield's Mayor, Billy Carneal said he has seen the immigrant population grow by leaps and bounds. He is especially concerned with increased traffic accidents involving alcohol.

" Where they are most heavily involved was in automobile accidents and things related to that sometimes. The DUI area and that sort of thing. They have contributed very heavily to that sort of thing," said Mayor Carneal.

There have been several such cases in Middle Tennessee recently. Victor Benitez was accused of killing 22 year old Joyceln Gardiner, a TSU student, in a car accident last month.

Just this past week, Julio Villasana pled guilty to vehicular homicide after killing a man while driving down the wrong side of the road in Nashville last August.

Just two months before that, Gustavo Reyes Garcia crashed into and killed a Mt. Juliet couple. All three men are illegal immigrants, and investigators said all three were driving drunk.

"When you lose a loved one, especially by somebody who's not supposed to be here in the first place, you can't replace them. There is no justice," said Springfield resident Lora Couts.

Mayor Carneal said that illegal immigrants have not affected the amount of major violent crimes in Springfield. Rally organizers also acknowledged that not all illegal immigrants are criminals; nevertheless, they want those good workers to come here legally.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/stor ... =Printable

Mayor Carneal said that illegal immigrants have not affected the amount of major violent crimes in Springfield.
    ... show me the statistics. I don't believe your statement.

(illegal) immigrants are also a vital part of the local economy.
    ...show me the statistics. I don't believe this either.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm sorry......I personally beleive the American people have....across the board....bent over, over-looked, looked the other direction and done everything they can to adjust, adapt and accomodate different people, cultures and relegions in this country. When the American people finally stand up......trust me.....they have been stepped over, walked over, spit on and are FED-UP! I don't care how tolerant people can get......there's a LIMIT. It's been long past over.............
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)