Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Tn - Immigrants find home and help in Middle Tennessee

Immigrants find home and help in Middle Tennessee
    Groups serve growing population
    By Chris Echegaray • THE TENNESSEAN • February 21, 2009

Read Comments(4)
    Census figures out this week on America's foreign-born population show Tennessee — and particularly Middle Tennessee — becoming an increasingly popular destination for immigrants.

Since 1990, the state gained nearly 200,000 foreign-born residents, an increase that moved Tennessee's ranking from 31st to 24th for the number of immigrants and refugees. Of the nearly 250,000 in the state, the largest cluster — 101,932 of them — lives in the Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro statistical area the Census Bureau measures. Click here for a video on the large influx of immigrants in Middle Tennessee.

Those who work with this new population say there are misconceptions, particularly that it's a Spanish-speaking monolith from Mexico. The truth is, it's a diverse group that brings with it a wide array of needs at varying levels. As a result, a network of public and private groups gradually emerged to meet those needs.

"Ten years ago … there was Catholic Charities and the public schools and the Department of Social Services working on immigrant needs," said Abdelghani Barre, immigrant services coordinator for Metro Social Services. "Now, there are private, nonprofits and ethnic groups who have created their own programs. But one could argue that there is always a need for more."

Recent arrivals need access to English language and adult basic education courses the Woodbine Community Center or Metro schools provide, Barre said. Many refugees invited here by the U.S. government are able to move into at least partially furnished apartments thanks to the goods that organizations such as Catholic Social Services gather from willing donors.

The efforts of organizations such as Conexion Americas to help immigrants develop and sustain businesses also help immigrants assimilate and thrive in the Nashville area, as do the Latino Health Coalition's preventive health information efforts.

Idalba Tabares, a native of Colombia who arrived in Nashville in 2002, has received community recognition for her work helping immigrants with job training and employment. She is a career counselor with Goodwill Industries of Middle Tennessee Inc.

"I tell them that, while they apply for work, to go learn the language, learn to drive, get more education," said Tabares, who moved to the U.S. in 1999.

There are cultural and social quirks to contend with, she said. Cubans can drive, but if they arrived here from Cuba via Miami, they are not accustomed to no one speaking Spanish. Recently arrived Somali women won't drive on the highway out of fear, Tabares said.

Immigrants have to educate themselves about the school system as well. Programs like Overton High School's Parents as Partners teach the most rudimentary details of the grading system, self-esteem issues and parental involvement. It was a result of a partnership between Metro schools and Conexion Americas.

Metro launched an International Newcomer Academy for students completely unfamiliar with organized schooling.

Overton teacher and freshmen coordinator Virginia Pupo-Walker said that some families come from places where school attendance is not mandatory, where children are expected to help on farms or at home. But the longer they stay and get acclimated, the more likely they will achieve, she said.

'All the amenities'
    Adriana DeLeon's first foray into the U.S. was moving her family from a small village in the Mexican state of Oaxaca to Burbank, Calif.

After 14 years there, they still didn't own their own home.

They bought one in Nashville within months of arriving in 2003 — a move prompted by news of more jobs and lower cost of living.

"And the schools for the children seem good to me," DeLeon said. "It's like being back in my pueblo, except with all the amenities available."

Larger cities are no longer the draw they once were for the immigrant population and resettled refugees. Southern cities such as Nashville have become the new destination, said Michelle Mittlestadt, spokeswoman for the Migration Policy Institute, a nonpartisan think tank that tracks migration in Washington, D.C.

"Increasingly in the last decade, immigrants are striking out from the traditional — known as 'big six' — states in search for new destinations," she said. "They are looking for new opportunities. They are now in the South drawn to textile, agriculture and other sectors."

(The so-called big six are California, New York, Texas, Florida, Illinois and New Jersey.)

The census report, which ends in 2007, also shows:

• Latin Americans account for 48 percent of the foreign-born residents living in Middle Tennessee, with Mexico being the leading country of birth. Click here for a graphic of foreign-born in Tennessee.

• The foreign-born from Somalia and Kenya are the most likely to have entered the United States in 2000 or later.

• Overall, about 28 percent of the nation's foreign-born entered in 2000 or later.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090 ... 3/-1/RSS05
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

But one could argue that there is always a need for more."
    And thus you have it. A larger more expensive drain on our resources. Just as this country is reeling and trrying to stay afoot on previous problems and situations.

Increasingly in the last decade, immigrants are striking out from the traditional — known as 'big six' — states in search for new destinations," she said. "They are looking for new opportunities. They are now in the South drawn to textile, agriculture and other sectors."
    So WHERE DO THE AMERICAN WORKERS GO?
    WHERE DOES THIS ALL STOP?
    I'M SORRY , IT WON'T
    GOOD OLE CORPORATE AMERICA NOT TO MENTION SOME OF OUR FANTASTIC POLITICIANS (WHO THINK THEY ARE DOING US ALL A FAVOR)
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    uniteasone said :

"So WHERE DO THE AMERICAN WORKERS GO?
    WHERE DOES THIS ALL STOP?
    I'M SORRY , IT WON'T
    GOOD OLE CORPORATE AMERICA NOT TO MENTION SOME OF OUR FANTASTIC POLITICIANS (WHO THINK THEY ARE DOING US ALL A FAVOR")

With our manufacturing base rapidly being moved to china and other country`s and the illegal`s taking over much of whats left you have to wonder , i heard we are going to be a" service nation" , what ever the hell that is , i guess in the NWO `s view of their world .

FedUpinFarmersBranch
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ELE

Illegals go home!

Does this article mean that immigrants are settling in or does it mean illegals have invaded the unfortunate people that reside in this part of Tennesee?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Shhh. Don't anyone say that word - ILLEGAL. What's the problem here?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ReggieMay I see your radar is working overtime there on your helmet.......u r picking up some talkers and listeners using the unspeakable terms of :

ILLEGAL
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Re: Illegals go home!

Quote Originally Posted by ELE
    Does this article mean that immigrants are settling in or does it mean illegals have invaded the unfortunate people that reside in this part of Tennesee?
    Bravo.

Good question.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........