Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TN: Undocumented Drivers Can Still Register, Insure New Cars

Undocumented Drivers Can Still Register, Insure New Cars
    March 2, 2011

By Scott Arnold

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - NewsChannel 5 discovered how easy it is to buy a car, register it, and even get auto insurance without ever having a license to drive. It's all perfectly legal, even for illegal immigrants.

State Senator Bill Ketron has proposed a bill he believes will keep illegal immigrants off the road by requiring driver's license tests in English only.

Critics said the bill is pointless because many illegal immigrants don't go to the DMV in the first place.

Our hidden cameras discovered it didn't matter if you told a car dealer you are in this country illegally and couldn't get a driver's license. It turns out the dealer could still sell you a car, and even help you get insurance.

NewsChannel 5 sent two women equipped with hidden cameras as our decoys to car dealerships along Nolensville Road.

"We have about $2,000 in cash," said our undercover buyer, Olivia.

They were up front about their situation, concerned they didn't have a driver's license.

"We don't, she's really not legal here," she said.

"Okay, well I am not the cops, I don't care," the salesman replied.

"We can buy a car,but the issue is getting it registered," she added.

"No, I can still get the vehicle registered in your name. And I can also get the license plates for you, with no problem. It would not be the first time," the salesman said with a laugh.

At every dealership, it was the same story; show some sort of ID, even a foreign passport, and they were in business.

"So I go to the DMV to get the tags?" Olivia asked.

"No, no, no, we can do it. You pay us the 90 dollars, and we can go," said the dealer.

At every dealership, our customers were told about existing state law requiring them to have care insurance.

Our decoy Olivia, who's actually American, thought this would end their car buying experience.

"Even when I call around to get quotes for insurance, I need a driver's license, they always ask me for my driver's license," Olivia stated.

"Bring a passport, proof of address, passport, proof of address, you have to get insurance on there, but I have places, can work with people," the salesman replied.

The sales guy may have acted like he has a secret hookup, but it turns out insurance companies are now selling policies to people with no license, or even proper papers to be in this country.

Olivia found that out when she called several major insurance companies, and discovered getting insurance was no problem on a car she couldn't legally drive.

"Can you insure me?" Olivia asked a saleswoman.

"Yes we can," replied the saleswoman.

Tennessee may deny driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, but no laws prevent companies from selling insurance to unlicensed drivers and car owners.

"You don't need a driver's license to be out on the road, but you can buy a car, you can register it, you can insure it. I don't know that seems a little sketchy to me," Olivia said.

If these driver's who are able to buy and insure cars without a valid driver's license are pulled over, they will only be cited for not having a valid driver's license if they show some sort of ID, such as a foreign passport.

NewsChannel 5 learned that the only time a traffic stop could lead to an arrest is if police pull the person over, and they have no ID on them at all.

Everything we discovered is legal, and that's why some believe a law that will make driver's license tests English only pointless.

"It's unlikely that someone who doesn't have a permit to stay in this country or in this state, would go and pursue a legal document, its just absurd," said Yuri Cunza with the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

Because to get a drivers license, one has to prove you are in this country legally.

The English Only driver's license bill is up for debate next Wednesday.

www.newschannel5.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Critics said the bill is pointless because many illegal immigrants don't go to the DMV in the first place.
    Good...then you should have no ojections to English only at the DMV. It will save the state considerable money if the DMV adopts an English only policy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)