Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AE

Tougher rules, 65% less Spanish language DMV tests

Video link: http://www.katu.com/news/26015154.html?video=YHI&t=a

SALEM, Ore. (AP) - Fewer people are now trying to get an Oregon driver's license, after tough new regulations took effect earlier this year.

The Statesman-Journal also reports that the number of driver-knowledge tests taken in Spanish has fallen to its lowest level since the state began offering the exams in that language in 1990.

And there's been an uptick in the number of people who have been turned away by the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division because they don't have the right documents.

Under the new rules, drivers must show a verifiable Social Security number, proof of citizenship and Oregon residency.

Of the nearly 600,000 non-commercial driver's license tests given by the state last year, more than 245,000 were in a language other than English.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Of the nearly 600,000 non-commercial driver's license tests given by the state last year, more than 245,000 were in a language other than English

That's disturbing!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AE

That's disturbing
    Yes, that certainly is. Good news is that when many of those licences come due to renew, the ones who took them in some other language than English, will not be able to renew, and THAT is good news.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Hi there AE, NoBueno.

Yes, that's approx 40% of all licenses issued. Of course, a portion of that 40% will be comprised of persons speaking Spanish primarily, but secondarily Russian, Vietnamese, Mandarin/Cantonese, Korean, and a handful of others.

Also, I think we were falling victim to the same sort of syndrome that MD and other states that issued DLs with lame ID/residence requirements -- we were becoming a magnet for out of state/area IAs who'd come here just to get the official ID and then go back to where they came. That has also helped to make OR above the mean in terms of ID theft and document fraud and probably complicates law enforcement and employment verification checking for those same people in other states... (with requisite apologies , at least we have done something to help fix that problem though... )
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Certainly Oregon has come along way in addressing this issue, that no doubt, was being exploited by illegals across this country. I would have to believe many illegals were traveling to Oregon to seek a drivers license. That will no longer be the case. That's great news!

My issue realy has more to do with the fact that ANY DMV will allow these people to take a driver exam in so many different languages. Those who are applying for a drivers license are citizens/legal residents in which I would expect them to comprehend enough English in order to take a basic written exam for a drivers license. I have a suspicion if that written exam were only offered in English, they would figure it out...

AE

NoBueno, we did have a problem with illegals coming from out of state. They busted a couple of people doing this and I believe they were convicted. I think the publication of that case and maybe one other helped this legislation along.

We need more to crack down on the illegals in this state, and hopefully give other states an example of how things can be turned around with the proper legislation and law enforcement.