http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoe ... 2d&k=79733

Tougher security new reality along Sask.-U.S. border

Anne Kyle
Saskatchewan News Network; Regina Leader-Post

Monday, February 20, 2006

REGINA -- Blackhawk helicopters and planes flying overhead will soon become the norm for residents living along the Saskatchewan-U.S. border as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security steps up security.

The aircraft, equipped with cutting-edge photographic surveillance and monitoring equipment, are on the lookout for terrorists, drug-runners and illegal immigrants trying to run the border.

The beefed-up border security, which comes in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the U.S., is a necessary fact of life, says Sherwood, N.D.-area farmer David Steeves, whose land straddles the border south of Carievale in southeast Saskatchewan.

"It's because these dang terrorists keep imposing more threats and things; how far they'll push things, that is what concerns me," Steeves said.

The porous Saskatchewan border and the days when local customs officers would wave Canadians and Americans across the invisible line dividing the two countries with a couple of cursory questions are long gone, he said.

"We farm on both sides of the border and our farm is right on the fence. We don't get people driving along the border like they used to; they tend to stay away from it a lot more -- I think that is probably because of the tight border security."

Steeves said he no longer finds vehicle tracks -- whether from smugglers looking for cheap booze and cigarettes south of the border, hunters or simply joyriders cruising the countryside -- cutting through his fields into the U.S.

"Even long before 9-11, we didn't notice tracks in the field like we used to 10, 20 years ago, but I think that has more to do with the exchange on the dollar," Steeves said.

"The beefed-up security has definitely slowed things down as far as people going back and forth, but it hasn't changed things for us a great deal," he said.

After 9-11, Steeves said, out-of-state security border guards were brought in to man the Port of Sherwood point of entry just south of Carievale, which caused long delays at the border. But, he said, these individuals are more settled in their jobs and on a first-name basis with many of the regulars, who travel back-and-forth across the border, which has eased the process.

There is also talk of Washington imposing passport or identification card requirements for individuals wanting to cross the Canadian border into the United States.

"That's probably going to happen and I'm not looking forward to it. Things were getting so much better in terms of relations between the two countries before this terrorist attack. It sure is a terrible thing to see relations take a step backwards because of terrorists from overseas," Steeves said.

As a mother, Jennifer Henderson of Carievale welcomes the tightened security at the border, particularly when it comes to travelling with children.

Originally from Sherwood, N.D., Henderson said, she crosses the border at least four times a week to visit her family, who operate the Sherwood hardware store.

"It is definitely slower crossing the border because they are a lot more thorough checking the identification of everyone in the vehicle, especially when you have children in the car and children who are not yours."

"I think that is fabulous. You hear a lot of people grumbling about it, yet if it was your kid being snatched and getting across the border if they weren't doing that, you would be hearing a lot of squawking about that not happening. I definitely stand up for the increased security because it is a lot safer for our children," she said.