Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Transformation of Lou Dobbs

I've watched Lou Dobbs for more than 8 years . . I remember when he was a quiet, boring money man at CNN. I remember when he left and then came back . . . .the transformation has been awesome.

Secret Life of Lou Dobbs
    By Luke Mullins
    From the Magazine: Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Filed under: Public Square

Why did the influential CNN business anchor undergo an abrupt metamorphosis from corporate sycophant to fire-breathing populist? LUKE MULLINS found the surprising answer in Rupert, the hardscrabble Idaho town where Dobbs grew up.

I.
    Frank McCall certainly didn’t need any more problems, not this year. But as he looked out over his vast fields of brilliant green row crop, he could feel the walls closing in around him. Fuel costs are just outrageous, and seem to get worse every day. Potato prices, on the other hand, dropped so low that McCall had to quit growing them altogether. Then there’s the new Clean Air Act requirements, which will add thousands of dollars to the cost of new tractors—not that McCall can afford one. And Congress? “They’re a bunch of arrogant, overpaid fools,â€
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Wow!

They always showcase some individual farmer - never show the thousands of illegals employed by big agribusiness corporations.

While I do sympathize to a point with the farmers, I was around when this thing first started. It wasn't the fact there were not enough Americans to do the farming jobs. There were. The produce was being harvested, chickens raised and cows milked - just by Americans. The illegals worked for less - so they replaced the Americans with illegals.

Pay was not the only reason for hiring illegals - but it was the biggest.

These farmers have depended on hiring illegals to get the job done and to make a bigger profit. They knew they were breaking the law as they did this. The people in the area who once did those kinds of jobs are by now too old to work and the younger people have left the area. The farmers are somehow trying to suggest they are the victims here because they aren't being allowed to perpetrate their illegal activities.

If these farmers had decided to work within the law, getting congress to agree to a temporary type work force, they wouldn't be having these problems. Instead of legal temporary workers, for which they would have had to be responsible to some degree, they chose to go the illegal route and make the American taxpayers responsible for the illegals.

They went about it the wrong way.

Also, without illegals, there will be more and more mechanized way to get these jobs done.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, they became addicted to the migrant labor. It's obvious that America's grain got threshed and the cows got milked before the great wave of 'immigrants' from south of the border. Just like in my profession (IT), the lines got coded and the servers got set up and administered long before the big wave of foreigners. And now, so many of us have left the profession, and the kids who saw what happened to their parents are shying away from pursuing IT careers. And the businesses who caused all this are crying 'shortage.'
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hi Betsy Ross
    Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    And now, so many of us have left the profession, and the kids who saw what happened to their parents are shying away from pursuing IT careers. And the businesses who caused all this are crying 'shortage.'
    Thus, the downward spiral that Lou mentions from time to time.

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

Yes, and in manufacturing, now that global currency exchange rates, foreign salaries, and fuel prices are changing the manufacturing equation, we now see that in the intervening years we have lost much of our domestic capacity to produce things, because it was cheaper just to buy foreign for so long.

Hi B.R.,

Yes, and Americans who were laid off from manufacturing jobs were told...

told by politicians
    told by economists
    told by the press

to switch to Computer science. And they did.

It's been predicted (and this has been posted before) that, by the end of 2010, that India will have replaced out the entire US info tech profession twice over (by using H-1Bs, L-1s, and Tata employees domociled in Bangalore, India).

This pleases most elected officials - that the entire info US technology profession will go to India on a silver platter!

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

Interesting article but very bias IMO.

IMO we have a valuable,mostly untaped, workforce here in our country.It is the non-violent prison population.

If every state set up a work programs these non-violent prisoners could choose to enroll in we would not need foreign labor.

This would solve our labor problems,help the prisoners learn a trade,afford them a grub stake so when they are released,they not only have some money so they don't feel forced to reoffend but the potential for a job waiting for them upon release.

It would help pay for incarceration which I think is a great idea.Ihope our government and businesses will wake up to this missed opportuinity to help prisoners,cut our tax burden and help solve the Illegal Immigrant delima.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Yes, we do get things cheaper from China and elsewhere.

I would like, however, to see a real study done on just how cheap it really is. The stuff we get is so shoddy and of such poor quality - it must be replaced time after time. A small appliance might work for 2 years. Years ago, you bought an American mixer and you could expect it to work for 20 years or more. I have two that are 40 and 50 years old - still working.

Then add to the cost of replacement, the increased taxes necessary for American workers because so many workers are either unemployed or underemployed.

Then add the cost of social services that have now become a part of the life of the people who once had jobs good enough they did not need them.

I believe if we actually had a true accounting of just how cheap these products are - we would find they are not cheap at all.

They are windfalls for the corporations - not for America or Americans.

I believe you are absolutely correct concerning your analysis of the true cost. I can also remember longer-lived appliances, clothing, furniture, you name it. I can also remember when things were more worth fixing than replacing.