Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trial begins for alleged Judy Calder killer (UPDATE)

Trial begins for alleged Judy Calder killer

By Kyle Magin
    Bonanza Staff Writer,
    Jury selection and opening statements were completed this week in a trial of a man accused of murdering Incline Village resident Judy Calder last year.

Mohamed Kamaludeen, also known as Rickey Barge, is being tried for murdering a person older than 60 with a deadly weapon, and solicitation for murder, in the August 2007 slaying of Calder, 64, at the Second Judicial District Court in Reno. A jury was selected for his trial Monday and opening statements were delivered Tuesday.

According to a Tuesday Associated Press report, Kamaludeen said during the first day of the trial that Calder’s husband, James, recruited him to murder her. James Calder declined comment, according to the report, due to an ongoing civil suit the Calder family has filed against Kamaludeen.

On Aug. 18, 2007, Kamaludeen is accused of stabbing Calder at least three times in the stomach and chest at a Reno warehouse Kamaludeen owned.

Witness Carlos Filomeno, an infrequent day-laborer for Kamaludeen and illegal Filipino immigrant, claims he saw Kamaludeen stab Calder because he owed her a large sum of money, more than $150,000.

At Kamaludeen’s February preliminary hearing, Filomeno claimed Kamaludeen offered him money to kill Calder. After Kamaludeen allegedly stabbed her, the two loaded Calder into the back of a van and dumped her body about 40 miles north of Wells, Nev.

Hunters found Calder on Aug. 28, 10 days after her family last heard from her, and nine days after husband James Calder reported her missing.

Kamaludeen then went on the run, driving throughout the southwestern United States before fleeing to Mexico. It was there that Mexican police apprehended Kamaludeen last September before extraditing him back to Washoe County’s custody in January. Kamaludeen's release was predicated on a U.S.-Mexico prisoner extradition treaty stipulating he not face the death sentence, which his charges allow for had he been apprehended domestically.

Kamaludeen's Washoe County public defender, Maizie Pusich, said she will focus on poking holes in the testimony and attacking Filomeno’s credibility.

Filomeno, whose story varied at times at Kamaludeen's preliminary, is in custody by Washoe County on a separate felony offense.

“It’s not just at the prelim, but he changed his story or added details numerous times to police, and his credibility certainly is a question with us,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Is Kamaludeen an illegal alien?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How many more Americans have to die?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country"-John F. Kennedy

"'
    A mans freedom hangs in the balance on the word of an illegal alien

Witness Carlos Filomeno, an infrequent day-laborer for Kamaludeen and illegal Filipino immigrant, claims he saw Kamaludeen stab Calder because he owed her a large sum of money, more than $150,000. "

“It’s not just at the prelim, but he changed his story or added details numerous times to police, and his credibility certainly is a question with us,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Jury picked in stabbing death of UNR faculty member
    BY MARTHA BELLISLE • mbellisle@rgj.com • October 14, 2008

Read Comments(1)RecommendPrint this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us
    Facebook
    Digg
    Reddit
    Newsvine
    Buzz up! A jury was selected Monday afternoon in the trial of a Reno businessman accused of killing a University of Nevada, Reno faculty member whom he owed money last summer.

Mohamed Kalam Kamaludeen, 39, known locally as Rickey Barge, is charged with the Aug. 18, 2007, stabbing death of associate professor Judy Calder, 64, of Incline Village.

He has pleaded not guilty to charges of murder with a deadly weapon of a person over the age of 60 and solicitation to commit murder. Opening statements begin today in the trial before Washoe District Judge Patrick Flanagan that is expected to last about two weeks.

Calder's husband, James, reported her missing when he could not reach her after she spent the weekend in Reno for work last summer. Her decomposed body was found Aug. 28, 2007 by hunters in Elko County.

Police said Kamaludeen knew the Calders through his business, Imaging Technologies. Officials said he killed Calder because he owed her $150,000 and couldn't pay it.

Carlos Filomeno testified at Kamaludeen's preliminary hearing in March that he had worked for years as a laborer for Kamaludeen. He said the night before Calder was killed, Kamaludeen drove him to Wal-Mart and gave him money to buy knifes, sweat suits and tennis shoes.

Filomeno testified that he saw Kamaludeen the next morning stab Calder at least three times in the business. He said Calder called softly for help before dying.

Filomeno said Kamaludeen made him clean the blood from the floor and help him put Calder's body in a plastic-lined box and into a van parked outside. Filomeno, an illegal immigrant and ex-felon, said he was afraid to tell police because he feared Kamaludeen would kill him.

Kamaludeen fled to Mexico after Calder's death but was arrested by immigration officials Sept. 4, 2007, and sent back to the United States to face charges.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Bruce Hahn said in court documents he has two theories on Calder's murder: Either Kamaludeen killed Calder himself, or he induced Filomeno to kill her.

"Whether he stabbed her or facilitated her murder, he is equally responsible for her death," Hahn said in the documents. "We have the same charge and the same crime. The only thing offered additionally is the possibility of how Kamaludeen orchestrated the murder."
    http://www.rgj.com/article/20081014/NEW ... /1321/NEWS

October 17, 2008

Alleged accomplice said he feared alleged killer of UNR professor

BY MARTHA BELLISLE
    mbellisle@rgj.com

The laborer who said he watched Mohamed Kamaludeen stab Judy Calder to death last year testified Thursday that he had thought the plan to kill her was a joke, even though Kamaludeen had made him buy knives and had lined a box with plastic for the body.

"I didn't know Rickey's going to do that," Carlos Filomeno said of Kamaludeen, who was known as Rickey Barge in August 2007, when Calder, a 64-year-old University of Nevada, Reno associate professor, was fatally stabbed in Kamaludeen's business, Imaging Technology.

Filomeno told jurors during Kamaludeen's trial on murder charges that after she was dead, he was too afraid to tell anyone. He revealed the story, he said, only when he was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

"I was so scared," said Filomeno, an illegal immigrant convicted of two felonies and an inmate at the Northern Nevada Correctional Center in Carson City. "Every time he moved, I don't know what he's thinking. I can't even believe it what's happening."

When pressed by Kamaludeen's lawyer, Jay Slocum, about why he didn't yell "stop" when he saw Kamaludeen stabbing Calder in the chest, Filomeno said his boss was armed.

"This guy has a gun. I don't know what's on his mind, what he's going to do to me," Filomeno said. "I was confused. This guy is crazy, you know. I don't know what's on his mind if he was going to kill me, too."

Kamaludeen is charged with murder with a deadly weapon of a person over the age of 60 and solicitation of murder in the Aug. 18, 2007, death of Calder. His trial in Washoe District Court is expected to run through next week.

Before Filomeno took the stand, Katherine Raven, a forensic pathologist who performed the autopsy on Calder, described details in a series of photographs of Calder's decomposing body after it was found on the ground in Elko County 10 days after she was reported missing.

"The cause of death was multiple stab wounds to the chest," Raven said, adding she suffered at least four wounds. One of the blows with the knife broke one of her ribs, Raven said.

Filomeno said he was in the bathroom that Saturday morning when Calder came to the business. He walked out, he said, when he saw Kamaludeen strike her numerous times.

"I come out, and I hear a 'help' -- a soft voice," he said. "When I get there, Judy's already on the ground."

Chief Deputy District Attorney Bruce Hahn asked how many times she was struck.

"Three times or five or more," Filomeno said.

"He say, 'Carlos, can you please help me clean the blood,'" Filomeno said. "I wiped the blood, yes I did, I help him."

"What part of her body was the blood coming from?" Hahn asked.

"From her chest and from the nose too," he said. "That's all I see."

When asked by Slocum, Filomeno said he told one other person about the killing.

Filomeno said Kamaludeen was going to pay him $10,000 to keep quiet about the killing but that he never saw any of the money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.rgj.com/article/20081017/NEW ... /1004/NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    Jury picked in stabbing death of UNR faculty member
    She was a University faculty member? Who probably wanted to help poor immigrant and likely supported mass immigration? Well we can see what the poor immigrant thought about her.

How many UNR faculty members will re-think their support of mass immigration because of this incident?

100?
    10?
    None?