Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Truck drivers from Mexico making waves at Mariposa

Truck drivers from Mexico making waves at Mariposa

April 22, 2008

By Manuel C. Coppola

Disgruntled truckers south of the border have been making waves in the produce industry since Saturday.

Alison Moore, communications director for Fresh Produce Association of the Americas said that on Saturday at about noon, a group of Mexican tractor-trailer rigs were blocking the border as drivers protested the time it takes to cross through Mexican Customs.

They were upset that just two of the four lanes at Mexican Customs have been in operation for the past several days, Moore said. Additionally, they were protesting that all Mexican trucks were being sent through one gamma-ray machine causing more delays.

At 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, Mexican Customs opened the remaining two commercial crossing lanes. But the drivers refused to cross until they received an agreement that all four lanes would be opened on Monday and that customs officers would select only a percentage of trucks to send through the gamma-ray machine, instead of checking 100 percent of the trucks.

"Gamma-ray is presumably a backup, when trucks require further inspection or if officers become suspicious," Moore said. "But apparently they were using it as part of the every day processing" routine.

As of press time, between 25 percent and 30 percent of the trucks that were backed up had crossed the border through the four northbound lanes.

The line lengths should be back to normal today, Moore said, but it will take the rest of the week to redistribute the flow of trucks as shipments are processed and empty trucks return to Mexico.

All passenger vehicles traveling north were being diverted into downtown Nogales, Sonora. Additionally, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers were not allowing cars or empty trucks to cross southbound at the Mariposa Port of Entry on Monday.

Monday afternoon, U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Brian Levin said that only commercial trucks were being affected, and that southbound passenger vehicles were being processed.

Assistance request

On Saturday, the Mexican Customs administrator and the City of Nogales, Sonora requested the assistance of the Mexican Federal Police. The Federal Police never arrived. There was a question as to its jurisdiction on the privately owned corridor leading to Mexican Customs.

In response, FPAA members Terry Shannon Jr. and Martha Rascon were able to contact the owner of the toll road, Miguel Abed, who said he would request police presence at the strike location. Also, he said he would contact officials from Mexican Customs and the Mexican Department of Transportation in Mexico City to alert them about the extent of the situation.

Although they did not enter the corridor, Federal Police were stationed at the checkpoint at Kilometer 21 further south preventing additional trucks from entering the toll road. In this manner, the tractor-trailers halted there would not add to the congestion of rigs that already numbered more than 300 at Mexican Customs.

The FPAA continues to coordinate with Mexican officials to allow the Federal Police to enter the corridor in these and other similar instances, Moore said.

FPAA President Jesse Driskill and lobbyist, Jessica Wasserman, were in Washington, D.C. this week. They were to meet with officials at the Mexican Embassy that represent the Mexican Internal Revenue Service, which oversees Customs.

Moore said they have explained the situation in Nogales and asked for assistance in resolving the issues.

Jorge Ibarra of the growers' association of Sinaloa, Mexico known by its acronym CAADES, conducted mediations with drivers following a meeting with the Mexican Customs administrator. The administrator reportedly has made an offer to the drivers, but the points have not yet been disclosed.

Government alerts

Secretary of Agriculture of Sonora, Alejandro Elias Calles, was expected to be in Nogales, Sonora on Monday to assess the situation. Additionally, CAADES has alerted the governments of Sonora and Sinaloa about the situation.

"The border is still blocked, and things don't look good for crossing produce today," said Brian Vandervoet a member of the FPAA in an e-mail to the Nogales International on Monday morning. "Farmer's Best, and Frank's Distribution are sending trucks to Douglas, Ariz., another port about three hours east of Nogales, but then those Mexican trucks will have to drive back to Nogales."

www.nogalesinternational.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

hat customs officers would select only a percentage of trucks to send through the gamma-ray machine, instead of checking 100 percent of the trucks.

Sorry I want to see ALL 100 or more trucks pass thru the Gamma gamma whatever ray machine (sounds like something from those time machine movies ). Anyway I don't want any Mexican trucks here rolling in my country.

Anyways, I won't bother to purchase their "produce" I am always checking to see where the products are from now. I will only buy if the fruit or vegetables are from the US which is being limited now. Everything is from a foreign country

Waaaaaaaaa!

Didn't I just read that the threat level is up and so is the chatter?
    They can just wait to get in or don't come in at all.

I don't eat the Mexico produce either.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Alison Moore, communications director for Fresh Produce Association of the Americas said that on Saturday at about noon, a group of Mexican tractor-trailer rigs were blocking the border as drivers protested the time it takes to cross through Mexican Customs.

They were upset that just two of the four lanes at Mexican Customs have been in operation for the past several days, Moore said. Additionally, they were protesting that all Mexican trucks were being sent through one gamma-ray machine causing more delays.

At 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, Mexican Customs opened the remaining two commercial crossing lanes. But the drivers refused to cross until they received an agreement that all four lanes would be opened on Monday and that customs officers would select only a percentage of trucks to send through the gamma-ray machine, instead of checking 100 percent of the trucks
    Like Berfie, I agree 100% of the trucks need to be checked with the gamma-ray machine. We neither need semi's of drugs or illegal immigrants trucked into our country.

Sounds like the Mexican truckers got their way--Monday all 4 lanes will be open and only a percentage of the trucks will be checked.
    Why didn't they let the Mexican trucks sit on the border until their cargo rotted and traffic was backed up for 50 miles into Mexico? It is DANGEROUS to give in to Mexican intimidation/threats.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

NAFTA is just plain a joke . on both sides of the border . These NWO freaks are going to kill a working wage for American's . All while they sit in their castles and count their money . Anybody who repeals NAFTA for real could get my vote . Very lame NOT to check every truck
    And No , any thing that says mexico on it gets put back in the bin !!
    btw : Mexican produce is tasteless and smaller than America produce
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*