Justice for Brian Terry

National Border Patrol Council Local 1613 (San Diego)

12/23/10

I recently returned from Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry's funeral in Michigan. It was a touching ceremony befitting this hero who laid down his life protecting his teammates and the citizens of our great nation. The Detroit area law enforcement provided a farewell that was both moving and inspiring. It won't soon be forgotten.

There are a few other things that I hope won't soon be forgotten. Those are the promises made by both Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin. Napolitano stated the following,

"We resolve, I resolve, to pursue swift justice for those responsible for his death, and we resolve, I resolve, to do everything in our power to protect those who put their lives on the line every day for our nation's safety and security."

Bersin echoed her comments by saying,

"Our commitment to Agent Terry and his family is that we will do everything possible to bring to justice those responsible for this despicable act. Let us resolve to finish the job that Brian began."

Bersin even cited the murder of Border Patrol Agent Robert Rosas as an example of how far the U.S. government will go to bring criminals to justice.

That was the point where Commissioner Bersin lost me. Unless I am mistaken there are still several suspects outstanding in the murder of Robert Rosas and the only person who has been sentenced to prison for that crime is the 18 year old Christian Castro-Alvarez, who seems to be the "throwdown" suspect. One and a half years after the murder of Rosas, this does not stand out as the shining example of how far DHS and CBP will go in pursuit of those who do us harm.

I hope that Commissioner Bersin is true to his word and that justice is brought to all suspects involved in the murder of Brian Terry but I am not optimistic. Border Patrol Agents realize we are often pawns in a political game that stretches from San Diego to Brownsville, and from Washington, D.C. to Mexico City. We don't get the support we deserve or the benefits we have earned, but we do the job to the best of our abilities anyways. We are proud of wearing this green uniform and of being the underdog. We are tenacious and have a very long memory. Long after others have forgotten about our fallen agents, after the words of Mr. Bersin and Ms. Napolitano have faded from the public consciousness we will still stand watch over our borders. We will be forever ready to bring justice to those who inflicted violence on our fallen brothers.

http://www.nbpc1613.net/2010/12/justice ... iego%29%29