Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TRYON LEWIS REPLACES TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY WITH MEXICO'S

"FIRST BILL
    While Lewis was wrapping up his work at his law practice last week, he also filed his first bill for the new session. The House bill, HB 505, calls for replacing “Cesar Chavez Day with Texas Hispanic Heritage Day as an optional state holiday.â€
    "This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

another stupid politician who believes he needs to pander to Americans of Mexican heritage. Lewis, this is the United States of America, not Mexico!

My brother-in-law works for a power plant. He told me that the African American workers (non-union) are allowed to take Martin Luther King's birthday off with pay. If they pass this law in Texas, the Latinos will probably get that day off with pay, as well.

Celebrating loss of Mexico

Celebrating the loss of Mexico from the Spanish empire is certainly anti-Hispanic.

Eliminate Texas Independence Day?!?

I read the bill, HB 505 doesn't eliminate Texas Independence Day AT ALL.

It replaces Cesar Chavez Day with Texas Hispanic Heritage Day. The new optional holiday may not be the best one on the state calendar, but let me ask you this:

Would you rather Texas have the option of celebrating the birthday of Cesar Chavez or the day Texas and Mexico won their independence from Spain?

Not a hard question to answer, if you ask me.

I WOULD rather celebrate TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY.
    "This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

AlamoGhost....

Is that you, LULAC?

Why is the Mexican Independence Day given holiday status and Texas Independence not given holiday status. Most Texans don't even know when it is anymore.

Texas Independence Day

Ha, LULAC, that's funny.

Well, if you want to celebrate Texas Independence Day, you can, on March 2nd. Just look at this list of state holidays on the Texas State Library website:
    http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/holidays.html

If this bill was replacing Texas Independence Day with Texas Hispanic Heritage Day, I'd understand your opposition to it. Hell, I'd be leading the protest, myself. But it doesn't. It replaces Cesar Chavez Day, which is just fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    I WOULD rather celebrate TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY.
    Which you never hear anything about. Sure hear a lot about Ceasar Chavez Day and Cinco De Mayo.

As far as celebrating Balck Day, Hispanic Day Chinese Day or anyother day I think we don't need to celebrate any of them. All this does is divide the country.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas