Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Two Articles from My Newspaper

First two articles were sent in by two individuals that are on the fence of illegal immigration. The last article I wrote.. enjoy
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbc ... /OPINION03

Penalties could resolve immigration issue

Herbert A. Robinson

Shreveport

I am always amazed at how we, as a nation of reasonably intelligent people, try to solve our problems. Of course, the solution to the problem of illegal immigrants is no different. Again, we are letting big business yield too much influence in this matter where a simple solution that is effective and cost efficient is available.

Illegal immigrants come here for jobs and economic gain. After all, that is one of the reasons all our ancestors came to America. We must use immigrant workers for many jobs but they should be here legally, and it is to the workers benefit as pay will go up when the worker is here legally and not at the mercy of big business.

The solution is so simple and easy and does not involve building fences between the United States and Mexico or having vigilantes patrolling the border. Simply, when an employer or company CEO allows a company or individual to knowingly hire an illegal immigrant, make the punishment include mandatory jail time of a substantial length. The flow of illegal immigrants will cease.

Statehood for Mexico may be the answer

Preston E. Turner

Bossier City

Illegal Mexican immigrants, like former African-American slaves, only became problems when their presence became inconvenient. As long as their labor was practically free and without demands for human rights, those who benefited hardly raised an eyebrow. While Mexican immigrants may be doing many of the same jobs formerly done by slaves, they now are being hunted down because they have learned how to defraud the defrauder.

Any student of American history has to agree that Manifest Destiny, the principle under which the United States asserted that it was God's will for European immigrants to claim Texas and the western territories, was an outrageous fraud on both Americans and Mexicans and lest we forget, the Indians. The subsequent Rio Grande border agreement, extracted under duress of war and threat of arms, also was at least immoral if not illegal.

Like it or not, these illegal laborers know how to access our services without paying, how to manipulate the regional economy by earning dollars but spending pesos, and how to keep all of their tax dollars. Sure, it's fraud and I don't like it. But so was slavery and Manifest Destiny. Some may say two wrongs don't make a right, others say what goes around comes around. I suggest we empower both sides by asking Mexico to consider American statehood.

April 1, 2006

Americans have lost jobs to illegal immigrants

Truism

Shreveport

There are many construction sites all around Shreveport and more to come. Of these sites, I've noticed that a significant number of them has had a large group of Latinos (Mexicans) working for them. It's well known that the construction industry has been hit hard by illegal immigrants who will work for much less than their legal counterparts. And there have been many cases where Americans have lost their jobs due to illegal immigrants coming into the industry.

The other negative factor illegal immigrants have on construction is the unbalanced competitiveness between contractors who bid for jobs. Legitimate companies that hire legal help can't compete with a company that pays their workers much less than the standard wages because they are illegal. Not only that, but all those illegal immigrants aren't paying any income tax either, which our city could benefit from.

In closing, the illegal immigrant problem in our city is becoming a economic problem for us all. And it doesn't end with the construction industry either. So please, do your part, report such companies to the Immigration and Naturalization Services or Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Let's save some jobs and keep our money where it belongs.

Um, ya had better ask Mexico and the Mexicans about that lol I doubt they would go for the idea.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC

Um, ya had better ask Mexico and the Mexicans about that lol I doubt they would go for the idea.

W
    Think they are just misinformed.

I think it's encouraging to see my own local paper print articles like mine and these other people discussing local but also, national issues concerning illegal immigration. Hopefully, there will be a ton of write ins about mine and the other 2 articles written.