Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Two groups clash over immigration in downtown Seattle

VIDEO AT
    http://www.komotv.com/news/9239366.html

Two groups clash over immigration in downtown Seattle

By Dominic Gates
    Seattle Times staff reporter
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ch19m.html

About 75 demonstrators marched against illegal immigration and a perceived threat to U.S. sovereignty through downtown Seattle on Saturday.

A slightly smaller but raucous pro-immigrant demonstration shadowed the march on Second Avenue.

The confrontation grew briefly ugly when marchers assembled for speeches outside the Federal Building. A group of fewer than 10 black-clad, masked counterprotesters marshaled behind wooden shields, threw water bombs and tried to cross the street to the main rally.

Seattle police used pepper spray to force the group back. One person was arrested afterward.

Leaders of the initial protest, including representatives of the John Birch Society and the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, claim the Bush administration intends to subordinate the U.S. government to an international body that would govern all of North America, including Canada and Mexico.

The demonstration, which had a city permit, was timed to protest the Monday summit meeting in Canada of President Bush with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Mexican President Felipe Calderón.

On the agenda is economic and security cooperation. But Saturday's marchers see something more sinister and secret.

Billed as March for America Washington, the protest was organized by 30-year-old Jonnie Crivello, who said she works in high-tech in Seattle.

Crivello said a "world global elite" is attempting to create a "one-world government." A "North American Union" that would effectively merge the U.S., Canada and Mexico is a first step, she said.

Crivello led an eclectic crowd.

Becky Lemon, 33, was part of a contingent from Yakima concerned about illegal immigration. Marching beside her, also wearing an anti-illegal-immigrant T-shirt, was her son, Matthew Campos, 13.

What does her U.S.-born, Mexican-American husband, a police officer in Yakima, think of her protest? "I don't talk to him about it," Lemon said

Ironically, the countermarch included radical groups as opposed to globalization as were the leaders of the main protest.

"There are real problems with free trade," said Allan Paulson, president of the Washington Fair Trade Coalition, "but let's not blame immigrants."

Ted Moree, 22, of Seattle, infiltrated the main march carrying a black anarchist flag and wearing a big smile as marchers tried to stop him from talking.

"I don't believe in borders. No one is illegal," Moree said.

He noted the irony that marchers on both sides oppose the idea of a North American free-trade union.

"We came to the same conclusions for radically different reasons," Moree said. "I'm afraid of CEOs exploiting workers everywhere and pitting them against each other."

The masked protesters were less congenial than Moree.

"A group hiding their faces and hiding behind shields confronted my officers," said Seattle police Lt. Jim Fitzgerald. "That's definitely a threatening gesture."

One masked youth who had just been sprayed identified himself as Michael B. and said he was from Portland. After the brief melee, his group headed up to Third Avenue carrying their shields, tailed by a posse of police on bikes.

Dominic Gates: 206-464-2963 or dgates@seattletimes.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Anti-immigration group hit with bottles, balloons
    YouNewsTVâ„¢
    Story Published: Aug 18, 2007 at 6:56 PM PDT
    Story Updated: Aug 18, 2007 at 7:01 PM PDT

By KOMO Staff

SEATTLE -- What were supposed to be two separate protests by two opposing groups turned violent when the one group grew confrontational and threw balloons and beer bottles at its opposition on Saturday.

Some 200 people gathered to protest against what they claim is President Bush's support of a North American union which, the protesters claim, would eliminate U.S. sovereignty.

"Not every illegal immigrant is a criminal - we understand that, but we are allowing people into this nation who are doing us harm," said Jonnie Crivello, a protester.

The protesters gathered at the Seattle Center and marched down Third Avenue to the Federal Building. While rallied there, they were bombed with beer cans and balloons by counter-protesters who were holding their own rally, prompting police to intervene.

About 50 counter-protesters were present, claiming shutting down the border is a racist act.

"We say no human being is illegal and everybody - just by working here - automatically has the right to live here," said Jorge Torres, a counter-protester.

Police said many of their officers were hurt during the protests. No arrests were made.

VIDEO
    Find this article at:
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Reminds me of what happened n MacArthur Park. Some masked troublemakers threw bottles at the police there too.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Masks have to go, what cowards!!!What is the difference between a black mask and a sheet???
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Click on the Video just below the picture and watch the clash with police.

Dixie

Well do you think the last kid that spoke was illegal "we believe the border being closed is racial and everybody has a right to come here and work" NO you don't "WE THE PEOPLE" say so, and it is OUR country!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Dressed in black may be a kid thing then again this could serious.

Needs to be nipped in the bud.If your dressed like a Ninja you are automatically arrested.

I will complain if I hear of them doing that around my neck of the woods.....
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

The police in Seattle should have arrested those that were throwing the bottles and ballons. If it had been the other way around the anti illegals would have been taken to jail. There is a double standard.
    In every video I watch of these protest it's the illegals who are out of control and using foul language or giving the figure to someone with a camera. I don't want those kinds of morals or their culture forced on me and my family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast