Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Two sentenced in human smuggling

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cct ... 491246.htm

Posted on Tue, Apr. 26, 2005

Two sentenced in human smuggling

By Gillian Flaccus

ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES - Two men convicted of smuggling themselves and 17 other Chinese immigrants into this country by hiding in an empty shipping container were each sentenced Monday to five years in prison, the minimum federal sentence allowed.

Jian Rong Tan and Wen Hsue Chang were convicted last May of conspiracy, bringing illegal immigrants into the U.S. for financial gain and harboring illegal immigrants.

On Monday, the two stood quietly in green prison tops and blue pants, their hands and ankles cuffed, and listened as the proceedings were translated into Cantonese.

Chang, 41, briefly addressed U.S. District Judge William J. Rea before hearing his sentence.

"This is the first time I've come to America and I didn't know anything. I've made some mistakes, but I didn't realize I'd made such a serious offense," Chang said through a translator. "I'd like to ask for leniency. Give me a lighter sentence."

Prosecutors said Tan and Chang, both from China's southern Guangdong Province, acted as "enforcers" during the 25-day trip, living in the 40-foot-long container with the immigrants to make sure they didn't escape.

The others paid $40,000 apiece for the trip, part of which was provided beforehand, prosecutors said, alleging Tan and Chang got a discount for their role.

The cramped space was stocked with little more than water, dried noodles, cooling fans and makeshift toilets fashioned from water bottles, officials said. An 8-inch hole in the container provided ventilation.

The 19 men were found Feb. 24 at Los Angeles harbor by customs inspectors, who acted on a tip. The container was located after being loaded onto a tractor-trailer. It was leaking waste.

The plan had called for the men to remain locked in the container for another week while it was transported aboard a train to an undisclosed destination in the Midwest, where they would find jobs.

Judge Rea called the smuggling operation "inhumane" but added Tan and Chang didn't appear to be its leaders and had never been in trouble before. He waived a $900 fee for each defendant, saying it was unlikely they could pay.

The number of Chinese nationals smuggled into the country through Los Angeles-area ports has dropped off in recent years, officials said. More than 60 stowaways have been found in containers at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach since 2002.

RICK, this is posted somewhere below, LOl

Please go read my post
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Fines & Jail time

Wish they could make them pay their debt to society in a Mexican Jail. 5 years there ought to cure them!

Article

Maybe we should send this out to the media?