Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX - Bishop Flores addresses border issues

by Astrid Martinez
    Posted: 02.23.2012 at 7:15 PM

At a small gathering, Bishop Daniel Flores of the Brownsville Diocese sat with members of the media.

The one hour meeting centered around border initiatives and immigration efforts as well as the violence in Mexico.

“Realistically we have to recognize that there is a number of people, especially women and children who are coming to the United States because of fear,” said Bishop Flores. “And it's a reality and it's affecting and separating families.”

Bishop Flores said there is a "steady stream" of refugees trying to escape their country's conflict.

He said local efforts by police is crucial in deterring spillover effects.

Flores also applauds federal efforts such as the recent visit by the Department of Homeland Security Secretary.

“I’ve always applauded efforts by higher department heads in getting to know local situations.” said Flores.

But ultimately he said ending violence is everyone's responsibility.

“ I think there is a certain glamour around drugs that attracts young people,” added Flores.

“I think we can be a lot better in the United States about talking about the damage that it does to families, the damage that it does to communities and the danger that it poses.”

And that education, Bishop Flores said should come at an early age.

“If we only focus on high school it's too late,” said Flores. “Because 12 and 13-year-olds are making key decisions about the course of their lives.”

The best solution Flores says is immigration reform.

“Promoting a good immigration reform will give us a much more realistic account as to who is actually in the country,” said Flores.

“And it will help us to be able to distinguish families that are here for economic reasons or person who are here to do us harm.”

Bishop Daniel Flores will travel to the Vatican in March.

He will meet with Pope Benedict to discuss border issues and how the church should handle them.

In turn, the Pontiff will also be making his way to Mexico before Easter.

Bishop Flores addresses border issues : News : ValleyCentral.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“Realistically we have to recognize that there is a number of people, especially women and children who are coming to the United States because of fear,” said Bishop Flores. “And it's a reality and it's affecting and separating families.”
    So we're separating families by allowing them to sneak in and then we separate families when we deport them. My head is spinning.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay View Post
    So we're separating families by allowing them to sneak in and then we separate families when we deport them. My head is spinning.
    Anyway you play it illegal immigrants are always the innocent victims.

We have more illegals here who did not come here out of fear. I'm sure there are some, but not the majority. In any case, we have citizens who live in dangerous neighborhoods and fear for their lives and that of their children too, but they don't jump borders risking further consequences.