A blog in the Houston Chronical claims she a (RINO) does not support the DREAM AMNESTY ACT but if not for and I quote her "When Pres. Bush addressed this, the GOP let those loud voices carry the day. It's a shame." Her point is that Bush should have LEGALIZED all of the ILLEGALS when he had a chance. You remember when Graham and McCain were the darlings of the Pro-Amnesty groups, they spent most of their time speaking with all of the Pro-Amnesty Special Interest Groups! They were among the Pro-Amnesty Senators who received a wink from then President Bush with a comment of "I will see you at the signing" of course referring to their anticipated signing of their adored Blanket Amnesty Bill.

Very interesting comments in the source article comment section!

December 09, 2010
Again, The Dream Act (Updated)
The Dream Act passed the House last night. You didn't even know it was being voted on? That seems to be the way of this congress. Obviously Reid was rushing this through before the new saner congress comes in in January. He didn't even allow hearings on it.

As I posted before, The Dream Act sounds compassionate and reasonable. Allowing children of illegal immigrants, who have always known the United States as their home, to have a pathway to citizenship if they go to college or go into the military. The military, by the way, already offers this. But there is much more to the Dream Act. This is what Democrats always do. They take what sounds like a good idea, and attach all sorts of goodies.

Let's go over the facts again. First of all, The DREAM Act is NOT limited to children, and it will be funded by taxpayers. Anyone can submit an application, and once that application is submitted, the illegal cannot be deported, even if he is a criminal. There is also no limit to how many illegals will apply. Illegals will get in state tuition benefits (which many states already give). The DREAM Act does not require that an illegal finish any type of degree as a condition for applying. Even though they are still illegal as they apply, The Dream Act gives them rights that legal immigrants possess, including including the legal right to sponsor their parents and extended family members for immigration. The Dream Act allows illegals to get federal student loans, apply for federal work study programs, and other forms of federal financial aid. And finally, If someone is denied, The Dream Act prohibits authorities from using the information provided on application to initiate their deportation or investigate or prosecute fraud in the application process.

In other words, ANY illegal can apply, no matter what age or who they are. In doing so they know they cannot be deported during the process. They also know that even if they are denied (say because of age or criminal background), the information of fraud cannot be used against them.

Anyone who reads my blog knows how frustrating this is for me. The Democrats spin this as just for students, and then they attach all sorts of goodies for all illegals. This is the way they work. But Republicans refuse to put forward a common sense more saner bill. These children of illegals did not choose to come here illegally. They deserve legislation that addresses their concerns. They are in a kind of limbo that isn't their fault. The GOP is so afraid of the loud vocal voices that demand nothing less than mass deportation, they can't do the right thing.

When Pres. Bush addressed this, the GOP let those loud voices carry the day. It's a shame. We could have addressed the entire illegal situation in a sane way, but no, we listened to fear tactics. Now we have to deal with a Democratic legislation that is unacceptable. This is what we get when we don't back legislation that makes sense. Bush's bill allowed for legalization for most of the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants, significantly beefed-up enforcement at the Southwest border and within the United States, and a temporary worker program designed to address America's labor needs (which I feel is critical). His bill demanded that the illegals get in the back of the line for citizenship, which is only fair. It demanded a return to their homeland, and required paying a fine and back taxes, AND it required the learning of English. It was fair. It addressed border control. If we had supported Bush then, we wouldn't be looking at a bill that even allows illegal criminals to stay, no fines, and does NOTHING for border control.

So. Frustrating.

When you call your Senator to vote no on The Dream Act, you might want to suggest that they put together a saner more responsible bill next year. Let them know that we support it. It's time to compromise on this. It's time to do something. Enough with letting the far left and far right keep us for doing anything.

It's time.

Update: The Dream Act Vote Delayed in Senate:

After previously scheduling a procedural vote for this morning, the Senate has again pushed back a vote to take up legislation to allow a path to U.S. citizenship for some foreign-born young adults who came to the country illegally as children.

Instead, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid called a vote at the last minute to "table" or kill the Senate version of the vote Thursday, with the intention of taking up the House version of similar legislation later this month. That motion passed, setting the bill aside.

This pretty much kills the bill for this year. Whew. Now, can Republicans take advantage of this next year, and come up with a good bill?

Update: I did read in the last day they tightened the loophole that would allow criminals to use the system. Not sure what the wording is though, so I can't be sure that it does a good enough job.

Posted by Kathleen McKinley at December 9, 2010 08:05 AM
Share:

Comments

http://blogs.chron.com/texassparkle/201 ... l#comments