Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX:Border Patrol agent assists in Rio Grande levee birth

Border Patrol agent assists in Rio Grande levee birth
    The Associated Press

BROWNSVILLE, Texas -- A Border Patrol agent helped a woman give birth on the banks of the Rio Grande Friday, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said.

It was unclear whether the woman or the man who was with her were illegal immigrants. The agent was responding to an emergency and didn't interview her about her citizenship, CBP spokesman Oscar Saldana said. He said he did not have their identities.

"We were just happy to be there in a situation where we were able to help," Saldana said.

The agent was patrolling a brushy area of the levees east of Brownsville when a man approached him and said his wife was about to go into labor. The agent requested medical attention, but the baby arrived with his assistance before the ambulance came.

The woman, man, and baby were taken to a hospital in good condition, Saldana said.

It's not the first time a Border Patrol agent has helped in a birth. In February 2005, an agent helped an illegal immigrant give birth in the back seat of the Border Patrol SUV. Passers-by had spotted the woman walking along a road about 60 miles north of the border.

http://www.star-telegram.com/448/story/227284.html

And, the newborn gets to be a U.S. citizen as did, I assume, the other newborn cited in the article born in the border agent's truck. We've got to amend the way we confer citizenship.
    <div>"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted land."**
    -James Baldwin, American Writer</div>

Hells bells, the least they could have done was carry her to the other side!!!!

If it had been me, I would have been swimming across the Rio Grande towards Mexico with her on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by camilleinchicago
    If it had been me, I would have been swimming across the Rio Grande towards Mexico with her on my back.
    I'd put a cork in it first!
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar
    These people are just making a mockery of the US legal system. Or, is it our courts, Congress and the Bush Administration? Or, possibly all of the above!