Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Border Patrol identifies hotspot for road spikes

Border Patrol identifies hotspot for road spikes
    Comments 1
    January 28, 2011 9:28 AM
    By NAXIELY LOPEZ/The Monitor

McALLEN — There’s a certain portion of the Rio Grande Valley where drug smugglers are using homemade spikes, or caltrops, the most, said Rosalinda Huey, U.S. Border Patrol spokeswoman.

The four-sided metal spikes were originally used to stop horsemen during medieval times, but are now being used to puncture the tires of law enforcement vehicles while on pursuit.

Smugglers first began using them in 2008, but have increased their usage, Huey said. Figures were not available Thursday after business hours, but four of the agency’s vehicles were disabled Tuesday near Havana after agents tried to intercept a drug smuggling operation, she said.

The incident began when agents saw a suspicious vehicle driving away from the Rio Grande, Huey said. When the vehicle’s driver noticed the agents, he made a U-turn toward the river and deployed the spikes, disabling four vehicles, she said.

At that time, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection helicopter was called to assist and the pilot was able to see about 30 people taking bundles from inside the vehicle and transporting them to Mexico via boats, Huey said. As the smugglers fled the area, they set the vehicle on fire, and the La Joya Fire Department was called to extinguish the blaze, she added. Agents were not able to make any arrests or seize any drugs during that incident.

“They’re obviously trying to outsmart us and outdo us,â€

Bring home our miltary and put them on the border. This is now a war situation on our border and our military are meant to protect this country first before worrying about other countries.

The only thing that helps me keep from getting too discouraged is that states are finally starting to realize that - even if they won't put in those words. Thank God for Arizona taking the first brave step and the few brave law-enforcement standing up and getting the momentum going in fighting to get something real done about the violence. I just hope that momentum keeps going!
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

WHERE DID I PARK MY

M1A1 TANK?

Any and all comments & Opinions and postings by me are considered of my own opinion, and not of any ORG that I belong to! PERIOD!

Re: reply

Quote Originally Posted by dregerk
    WHERE DID I PARK MY

M1A1 TANK?

Screw that. Apaches armed with heat seekers and rockets ftw.