Posted: 10:11 a.m. Sunday, March 17, 2013
By Brad Stutzman
Round Rock Leader Staff

Tackling issue ranging from fiscal responsibility to party unity, District 31 U.S. Rep. John Carter addressed a group of about 100 people Monday, during the Williamson County Republican Women’s monthly luncheon.

Carter spoke about the ongoing budget sequestration battles, as well as his clashes with prominent Obama administration members such as U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano.

But the former Williamson County district court judge – while known for being fiercely partisan – advised the GOP faithful they’re wasting time if they focus their efforts on trying to impeach the president.

The Round Rock Republican said he frequently gets asked about impeachment – and said it’s a hot topic among GOP bloggers – but emphasized it is not a realistic legal option.

Carter said he thinks Obama is wrong on many issues, but that doesn’t equate to treason or the other impeachment standard outlined in the U.S. Constitution – the commission of “high crimes and misdemeanors.”

“Is he doing a lot of stuff I don’t like?” Carter said at the Williamson Conference Center gathering. “You’re damn right he’s doing a lot of things I don’t like. But if ever there was a theme that we as Republicans ought to hold to, it’s the rule of law that holds people together.”

Carter downplayed the negative effects of ongoing sequestration – the automatic spending cuts that took effect March 1, when Republicans and Democrats in Washington, D.C. could not reach agreement on taxing and spending issues.

“The sky is not going to fall,” Carter said, noting the mandatory cuts will affect U.S. armed forces, but military leaders are prepared to deal with them.

Echoing one of his most-common themes, Carter said federal spending – including the government’s annual deficit and accumulated debt – is out of control.

“If you don’t make more than you spend, you’re in trouble,” he said.

Yet Carter said he is no fan of sequestration, stating: “Sequestration is the stupid man’s way to cut the budget. What’s wrong with sequestration is every program gets cut equally.”

Carter accused Napolitano of playing politics during sequestration, noting U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement authorities recently released several hundred detainees who Carter said could be public safety risks.

Carter – who since 2004 has served on the House Appropriations Committee – vowed he’ll personally tell Napolitano and her underlings: “I want the name and [criminal] offense of everyone who was released, or we will have a difficult time funding your budget next year.”

Addressing other issues, Carter said immigration reform proposals won’t go anywhere unless they’re locked hand-in-hand with border security.

Regarding gun control, he quipped: “I don’t see it going anywhere. They’re not going to be getting my guns.”

Carter said Republicans need to be looking forward and not casting blame for past failures.

“Our party is the right party, but we’ve got to be a united party,” he said. “We’ve got to stop attacking each other.

“This country is on the wrong track. We’ve got to get it back on the right track, or else we’re going to go off the track.”

Carter calls for border security, fiscal prudence | www.statesman.com