Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: County officials: Detention center treating immigrants

http://link.toolbot.com/statesman.com/54373

County officials: Detention center treating immigrants humanely
    Williamson commissioners tour facility in response to residents' protests

By Juan Castillo, Lisa Ogle
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Wednesday, January 10, 2007

When protesters expressed outrage last month that an immigrant- detention center in Taylor has children in custody and charged that they are housed in prisonlike conditions with substandard care, Williamson County commissioners pledged to learn more about the T. Don Hutto Residential Center.

After touring the private facility in visits over the past two weeks, most commissioners say they are satisfied with the care for the families held there.

"I think it's a very well-run facility, and they probably are doing the best thing they possibly can," said County Judge Dan Gattis Sr., who toured the detention center with Commissioner Valerie Covey for about three hours Dec. 29. "These people were living very comfortably from what I saw."

But Commissioner Lisa Birkman, who visited the center Friday with Commissioner Ron Morrison, wanted to know whether the detention center's living quarters can be made more family-friendly, though she did not specify how that could be done.

Birkman, who taught English as a second language for 13 years, said she would ask the county's director of juvenile services to offer recommendations.

Commissioner Cynthia Long toured the jail Thursday. County spokeswoman Connie Watson said that she set up the tours to accommodate commissioners' schedules and that commissioners did not intentionally or unintentionally avoid visiting as a group, which would have required public notice.

The Austin American-Statesman requested a tour of the facility last week and is awaiting a response from the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency.

The 512-bed T. Don Hutto Residential Center is one of only two in the country that detains unauthorized immigrant families, including children, on noncriminal charges while awaiting federal disposition of their cases. Many people held there, if not most, seek asylum in the United States and are from countries other than Mexico.

Detaining all unauthorized immigrants follows a policy implemented last year by the Department of Homeland Security.

Much of the criticism about the Taylor jail has centered on accusations that it is immoral and inhumane to imprison children, but the federal government says the T. Don Hutto facility was designed for families and is a humane way to maintain family unity while enforcing immigration laws.

Critics, however, contend that children receive better care, including a full education and access to caseworkers, when housed separately and in residential facilities designed for them.

Birkman and Covey said they understood critics' concerns but stressed the value of keeping families together.

"I have to think, 'What are the other options?' " Birkman said. "I have four children, and as a mom, if I were detained, I'd rather the kids be with me."

The Taylor jail began holding immigrant families in May under a contract with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. Williamson County selected Corrections Corporation of America to operate the facility and receives $1 per day for each inmate.

Last month, dozens of protesters held a vigil outside the jail after a 2 1/2-day, 35-mile walk from Austin. During a Commissioners Court meeting the following week, three county residents spoke out against the detention center.

Gattis and other commissioners said they found most, if not all, complaints unfounded. In separate interviews, they said they toured the cafeteria and living, classroom and medical areas, and spoke with teachers and administrators. They described good conditions, compassionate staff members and a relaxed, comfortable environment.

"They've taken a prison and softened it to be a detention center for families," Covey said.

The commissioners said adults take parenting classes, and children receive instruction in English and life skills. They said they saw children studying in classrooms and playing, with access to a library, computers, video games and television.

Critics said families complain about conditions, including health care. Frances Valdez, an attorney and clinical fellow at the University of Texas Law School Immigration Clinic who has visited clients there, said that children receive one hour of classroom instruction per day and that some family members reported becoming ill from food served there.

Commissioners said prison officials explained that children receive one hour of direct classroom instruction from state-certified teachers and then do assigned work for at least three hours.

A spokeswoman for the Texas Education Agency said a full school day includes seven hours of instruction.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said it employs state-certified teachers and certified dietitians, and the U.S. Public Health Service operates a medical area along with a mental health staff.

Birkman said prison officials explained that the usual stay at the center is 20 to 45 days. Eighty-five to 90 percent of those detained are ultimately deported, Covey said.

Gattis said commissioners would continue monitoring center operations.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Its a detention center not a country club. I'm for treating them human but lets not give them a big screen TV etc as I'm sure some bleeding hearts would recommend!!!!!

I say we build more centers to round'em up and ship'em out!!!!!

Great, the Austin American-Statesman wants a tour. Just what they need. They might as well let the protestors take a tour. The Statesman will have nothing good to say. They are peddlers of the liberal agenda.

I bet the classes in the detention center are better than those in the normal public school system.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

April
    They've taken a prison and softened it to be a detention center for families," Covey said.