Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

TX: Dallas Morning News: Letters to Editor

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... e5148.html

Letters: Illegal immigration debate

09:38 AM CST on Sunday, February 18, 2007

Bad choices, bad effects

Re: "Ghost town – Immigration raid leaves a large void," Feb. 11 news story.

The real tragedy is that parents, through their decisions, have put their children in horrific circumstances. No one else is responsible for the fallout, other than the people who chose to come here illegally and then break another law with identity theft.

As an American, if I were to break the law, I would be in jail. Most of these people are just being deported. Are their families torn apart? Absolutely, but it was their decision to break a law that caused this.

If you need help in your own country, go see the Catholic Church. From what I understand, it will help anyone who is starving or destitute.

Come to America legally, and you will be welcomed.

Lib Grimmet, Carrollton

I'm tired of these stories

We are getting sick and tired of front-page stories about the plight of the poor families in Cactus, Texas. We don't feel sorry for these individuals; they are illegal immigrants.

The Mexican government should be stopped from urging the wholesale exodus from its country.

Instead, why don't you feature the plight of those two border patrol agents who were railroaded to 10- and 12-year prison sentences? Feature stories about the miserable conditions citizens face on the border.

We want this illegal invasion stopped, or we need to get a new government that will stop it.

Bernard DeRoo, Mesquite

Article left out key points

Isabel Morales did a wonderful job in her article concerning the effects of the ICE raid in Cactus last December. She let us know of the large void in the town and broken families after that raid. Statistics detailing numbers arrested, deported and charged with crimes gave some balance.

But Ms. Morales made no attempt to tell us how many U.S. dollars these workers were sending to Mexico. Mexico's second largest source of income, its crutch, is remittances from Mexicans in the U.S. Remove it, and Mexico would have even worse social and economic despair.

Her article also did not define the costs, aggravation and troubles for those whose identities were stolen – or just "borrowed," as some have called it.

She recounts the hardship of local businesses that lost income but doesn't mention that those businesses knew they were being supported, in large part, by criminals. Would a business that lost income from the breaking up of a criminal gang that headquartered there receive the same compassion?

In my view, what happened at Cactus and Swift was the federal government finally making a half-hearted, long-overdue attempt at doing its job.

Rod McCoy, Wylie

We're placating Mexico

It is unbelievable that our government is more interested in putting our border patrol agents in jail than in apprehending and punishing the drug smuggler bringing drugs into our country.

He is free to continue bringing in drugs while they are in prison for up to 12 years. It seems our government is more interested in appeasing Mexico than protecting Americans.

Catherine Strain, Royse City

Insult to legal migrants

Your continued articles decrying the plight of the illegal immigrants who cringe in fear and refuse to come out of their houses for fear they will be deported are the most outrageous attacks on the law-abiding immigrants who go through the process to come to this country.

Shame on Isabel Morales and shame on editors of The Dallas Morning News for allowing this to go on. If these folks are here illegally, I am ecstatic that they fear getting sent back. And I hope they do.

Eric Shelander, Balch Springs

Money before patriotism

Re: "Bank tests credit cards for the undocumented," Wednesday Business.

Bank of America recently announced that it would start giving credit cards to Spanish-speaking customers who may not have Social Security numbers – i.e., illegal immigrants. Wells Fargo and Citibank have been doing this for years.

Who will pay for these cards when the illegal immigrants don't pay their debts? Customers like me will pay in higher rates, a perfect example of the banking industry putting the almighty dollar in front of patriotism.

I wonder how the soldiers fighting in Iraq feel about this. They're dying to pay for our freedom, and Bank of America is giving it away.

Keith Jacobs, Plano

I love Texans! They don't play around with language, they get strait to the point.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Americans don't owe political correctness to illegals. The illegals have broken more than one law and many of them are not just civil laws. Plain truth is the only way the word is going to get out about the harm that illegals are doing to America and Americans.

bout damn time we start standing up to the DFW Morning News. They just keep playing the sympathy role while those of us against illegal aliens get attacked, beat and spat upon.

Cactus TX got what was coming to them, and soon Dallas will get it too.

I vote ICE for 2008 President!

God Bless Texas!

[b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee