Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

TX-Day labor site in Tomball comes under scrutiny

Day labor site in Tomball comes under scrutiny
    June 14, 2010 8:01 am

Michael Golden wrote:

Tomball City Councilmembers say they have issues with the city footing the bill for a day labor site off of East Main Street in downtown Tomball, and would like to launch talks with the Greater Tomball Area Chamber of Commerce and other local businesses about taking over that lease agreement.

Lease agreement

The topic came up last week when councilmembers were asked to consider renewing a lease agreement with Frank DeNina and Russell DeDenina, who are owners of the 3.5-acre property on South Sycamore Street and east of the Burlington Northern Railroad tracks. The city entered into the lease agreement in 2000, and has paid about $1,500 in property taxes each year per the terms of the contract.

Council voted unanimously to table the lease renewal agenda item, and to start discussions with other entities that could possibly take over the agreement.

Opened in 2000

The day labor site opened in 2000 with picnic tables, a bicycle rack, a water fountain, portable restrooms and a shelter. The city of Tomball pays a monthly fee for a port-a-can.

Issues arise

“I have issues with this,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

[quote]“I have no issue with a workplace for people who are here legally,â€
    If the race card is the only card in your hand, you're not playing with a full deck.

[quote]“Before the site existed, there were a lot of complaints from citizens about day laborers loitering on the street,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

TX: Day labor

The TRUTH is that the illegal workers used to meet dircetly in front of CITY HALL and the POLICE STATION. Citizens complained that the police should not allow illegal activity at all, but especially not in full view of enforcement officers.
    Sort of like saying, "if we can not see it, it is not a problem."

Tomball, like other cities, is struggling to make ends meet. Small businesses are closing. Not much need for these workers now.

Quote Originally Posted by defaoite62

I think Curtis Collier needs to do another "Houston, we have a problem"
    video and drive by there with a hidden camera and see how many of those
    guys have SS cards or green cards.

Def
    .......I think I will send him this article and see if he is up to doing it!
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas