FB leaders not conceding regrets over immigrant measure

11:14 PM CDT on Sunday, April 15, 2007
By STEPHANIE SANDOVAL / The Dallas Morning News
ssandoval@dallasnews.com

Some Farmers Branch residents say it's time for Mayor Bob Phelps and two City Council members to take a public stance against a proposed anti-illegal immigrant ordinance.

They say Mr. Phelps, Charlie Bird and Jim Smith regret the January decision approving the ordinance, which would essentially ban apartments from renting to illegal immigrants, and calling for a citywide election on it May 12.

And they want them to make their opinions known Monday night – at the last council meeting before early voting starts April 30.

Mr. Phelps and Mr. Smith said they haven't changed their minds.

But neither would take a firm stance on one side or the other on Friday.

Mr. Bird declined comment

Resident Linda Haddock said she's heard Mr. Phelps and Mr. Bird say they are sorry for what happened.

"There's some effort I think being made to get them to acknowledge that," she said.

"I want them to do it and think they have to do it. They have to make restitution to their constituents, not run around in small circles and tell it to their friends, and not run around and quietly support [the City Council] candidates that are against it."

Ms. Haddock, former Mayor Dave Blair and others said Mr. Phelps spoke out against the ordinance last week at a reception for council candidate Berry Grubbs – who opposes the measure. "I did not come out and say I was against it," Mr. Phelps said.

"I said I do not think it is right for the city of Farmers Branch, but I have not changed my opinion on it from Day One.

"My deal all along is the federal government is responsible for this, and the courts have ruled that they are. Trying to circumvent the federal government – you can't do that."

He declined further comment.

"I can't get into any great detail on it because of all our litigation and stuff," Mr. Phelps said. "I don't want to be responsible for more dollars being spent on that. ... We've been advised that we shouldn't [comment] due to the lawsuits."

Tim O'Hare, the driving force behind the ordinance, said there's been no change in attitude on the mayor's part.

"The mayor has been against this ordinance from Day One, and everybody in the city knows it," he said.

Mr. Blair said he's heard the comments from Mr. Phelps and Mr. Smith firsthand and heard from others who have talked to Mr. Bird.

"I can tell you honestly ... they regret at this particular point that the vote went the way it did," Mr. Blair said.

"It frustrates me. I've talked to these people and said, 'Speak out. Speak out.' The comments I get lately are, 'We can't, because the lawyers have told us we can't.' "

Mr. Bird said Friday he wouldn't comment until he speaks to Mr. Blair about his statements.

When asked directly if he supports the ordinance, Mr. Bird again declined comment.

Mr. Smith said Friday that he suggested before the issue became public last fall that the provision of the ordinance requiring apartment management to obtain proof of citizenship or legal residency be included in the apartment licensing regulations. "It would accomplish the same thing, but we wouldn't have to have a big vote out there," Mr. Smith said.

When asked directly if he supports or opposes the ordinance, however, he said only that he's against illegal immigration and supports bringing the ordinance to a citywide vote.

While some residents said the city leaders' recent private comments indicate a change in position, their comments last week mirror those from the Jan. 22 council meeting.

The council at that time unanimously voted for the ordinance, which included a clause that it go to voters on May 12.

Mr. Phelps didn't vote because the mayor votes only in case of a tie.

But at the time he reminded residents that the City Council originally adopted a resolution and sent it to other cities, school districts and assorted elected officials across the state, encouraging them to pressure their leaders in Washington to pass effective immigration reform.

"We told them this is a federal issue and you are not doing what you are supposed to do; pass something, do something we can all work together on," Mr. Phelps said at the time.

But he said the ordinance was "a start."

"Good, bad or indifferent, citizens are going to have to vote on it," he said in January.

Mr. Smith and Mr. Bird said at the January meeting that they were voting for the ordinance because, ultimately, residents would decide if they want it.

"Charlie and Jim voted for this ordinance, or something similar to it, twice," Mr. O'Hare said.

"If they've changed their mind, I don't know what has come out that would change their mind."

Resident Larry Washington said in a recent interview that the City Council vote influenced his stance.

"If they feel strongly we need to have this ordinance passed, then I support it," he said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 20ec7.html