Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX Governor Perry only HALF supports Americans

http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 20346/1001

Governor visits Fabens, says he's got more to do for border security

Brandi Grissom
    Austin Bureau
    Thursday, January 12, 2006

Republican Gov. Rick Perry peered through thermal heat-sensing goggles over the vast unguarded fields of the border in Fabens late Wednesday and vowed to continue fighting for increased federal money for border security if re-elected.

"If the Texas border is secure, America is safer," Perry said, ending a day of campaign stops in five cities with a tour of the border area led by El Paso County Sheriff Leo Samaniego and Texas Homeland Security director Steve McCraw.

During a statewide tour that started Tuesday, Perry touted his conservative record, including putting millions into border security, fueling job and economic growth and cutting billions from the state budget. But, he said, there is still much to do to bring the state school finance system up to constitutional muster, reduce school property taxes and improve border safety.

Perry sent $6 million to the Border Sheriff's Coalition, a group of sheriffs from 16 border counties, last year to allow more deputies to patrol the border, especially in rural areas like Fabens. The program, Operation Linebacker, is meant to serve as a second line of defense to the U.S. Border Patrol.

"The bottom line for us in Texas is if the federal government is not going to secure our borders, then we must step in and you know hopefully it will bring enough attention to our friends in Washington that they'll step in and do what's right," he said.

Samaniego thanked the governor for the grant, which amounted to about $367,500 for his department. He said the money, which is paying for overtime for sheriffs' deputies to patrol in areas that usually go unmanned, will last for only seven or eight weeks.

To keep the program going, the border sheriffs have asked Congress for $35 million. Samaniego said the program, modeled after the successful 2004 Operation Stonegarden, would reduce illegal immigration and crime associated with it.

Farmers who live in the border area came out to thank Perry for his recent attention to border security and recount the threats and property damage they've suffered from undocumented immigrants who cross into the country and through their pecan groves and cotton fields.

"We kind of feel at times we're like back in the Wild West here. When I go walking, I carry a pistol," said Suzie Brown, a farmer in Fabens. "It's a scary thing."

But Perry said he would not call for militarizing the border, did not support vigilante groups like the Minutemen and said the congressional proposal of a fence along the border was "silly."

The border tour marked the end of a day with stops in Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Brownsville on Perry's "Proud of Texas" re-election campaign launch tour. The tour continues today, starting with a rally in El Paso.

Perry is running for a second full term as Texas governor, which would make him the longest-serving governor in history at 10 years.

He could face up to three challengers in the November general election.

Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn announced last week she would abandon the Republican Party primary to challenge Perry as an independent. Kinky Friedman, a kooky author and musician, is also making an independent bid. And four Democrats are fighting for their party's nomination.

Brandi Grissom may be reached at bgrissom@elpasotimes.com; (512) 479-6606.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But Perry said he would not call for militarizing the border, did not support vigilante groups like the Minutemen and said the congressional proposal of a fence along the border was "silly."
    And this is where I blew a gasket! He is talking out of both sides of his mouth, as usual. We need him out of here in 2006.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GOODBYE PERRY! WE WON'T MISS YOU!!

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

I didn't like him all that well before and I like him even less now. Last time, during the campaign he got arrested for drunk driving and got away with it. That was when I decided his good looks and effective speeches were nothing but political ploys.

I'm going to really work hard for Strayhorn and if she lets us down, I don't know what I'll do.

I didn't know you were a texan junius...I haven't heard a lot about her...just a blurb on tv here and there...don't know her platform, etc. Where did you find your info?

O Perry got in 'cause he was a friend to BUSH..that's why.
    RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Roadrunner, I'm not a Texan. I am NorthCarolinian who happens to be living in Texas at the moment. If you get the newsletter
    Texas Insider http://www.texasinsider.org/election_watch/index.htm there is all sorts of interesting information.

Carole Keaton Strayhorn declared her 3rd party candidacy about two weeks ago. She's running for governor. A guy named Arthur Loux will try to unseat Kay Baily Hutchison. I'm 90% sure I'll vote for both of them. I have communicated directly with Strayhorn's campaign advisor and with Mr. Loux himself. I'm satisfied with both their stands against illegal immigrants.

I have never liked Perry (his campaign ads make me want to barf!) and Hutchison is way too wishy washy when it comes to illegals. She wrote to me months ago defending why she thought NAFTA was such a great thing. I started watching her a lot more carefully then. I think she's just another globalist. I definitely don't like Cornyn and if I still live here when his seat is up for grabs, I'll vote against him if I have to vote for a chimpanzee.

Thanks for the info jj...I agree with you on all points...Hutchison did zip..other than voting to increase H1B visas, etc...now comes election time and she's 'speaking' against illegal immigration. I've voted for her previously but never will again. Someone has to be better than she is...it wouldn't take much...and Cornyn?? omg...forget him...he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

When I write to Hutchison I get a form letter...it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get it..as often as not it does not even apply to the subject that I wrote or called about. sheesh...When I write to Cornyn I get no response at all.

I'm looking for viable candidates for these seats.

Welcome to Texas...

RR

When I write to Hutchison I get a form letter...it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get it..as often as not it does not even apply to the subject that I wrote or called about. sheesh...When I write to Cornyn I get no response at all.
    I agree whole heartedly. I wrote Hutchison back last time and asked here whose letter she was answering. LOL I have never since he took office EVER had a reply from that arrogant Cornyn. I didn't vote for Cornyn but I did vote for Hutchison. Never again.

Whose your congressman? Mine's Reyes and, obviously since he appears to be a naturalized citizen, he is all for letting the rest of them come. I like his backbone when it comes to the vets but his bit about having served on the Border Patrol for 20-some years gets old. I wonder how many he turned his back and let in during those 20 years, if you want to know the truth. I'm getting more and more aggravated with him but then, I'm outnumbered here on the border.

I don't know what to make of Shapleigh. I have to do some digging on him because I think he could just be one more of the good old boys who talks out of both sides of his mouth depending on the audience.

Gohmert is my rep. He was a judge here for years. He's part of Tancredo's Immigration Reform Caucus...this is his first term and so far (crossed fingers) I like him. He answers my emails and his aides are informed. They don't 'play it dumb' like Cornyns aides do...sheesh...

RR

Good to hear, RR. We will have to put in a few plugs for his reelection when the time comes Whatever it takes to get enough people in there to make a difference and keep what few we have.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast