Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Tx - Immigration bills already sparking angry exchanges

Immigration bills already sparking angry exchanges

05:53 PM CST on Thursday, February 19, 2009

By ELISE HU

The effort to crack down on undocumented workers in Texas is already creating tension at the Capitol.

At least 35 bills have been filed this session to target an illegal immigration problem that the federal government has yet to address.

"They generally are things that really need to be addressed, at least vocalized," said State Rep. Jim Jackson, R-Carrollton, on the bills.

Jackson's bills would make English the official state language and require proof of citizenship for all 185,000 state employees.

"I think it's important that we secure ourselves and our safety by controlling our borders and those who are here, knowing who's here," said Jackson.

But other immigration bills are considered by critics to be more mean-spirited. They include measures to tax money sent from Texas to Mexico, bar illegal immigrants from public universities and challenge the citizenship of immigrant children, even if the children are born on US soil.

"Some of [the bills] would rip families apart," said State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, who supports comprehensive reform at the federal level, but worries some of the state proposals are anti-Hispanic.

"I wish my colleagues would tone down the rhetoric. It doesn't do us any good," she said.

A racial exchange actually broke out this week between a lawmaker who authored several anti-immigrant bills and a Chinese-American immigration lawyer. The Dallas Morning News reports the lawyer called the lawmaker "evil" for one of his measures, the lawmaker, state Rep. Leo Berman, R-Tyler, responded by saying "kiss my a**" and "go home".

Berman was unavailable for comment on Thursday.

"When we have legislators assume that because someone looks different, they're not American, that is very troubling to me," said Van de Putte.

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/02 ... 0cf6f.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ELE

The Federal government loves Illegals!

Illegals have NO rights in OUR country. Perhaps Texas should succeed from the Union since the Federal government never supports them anyway.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But other immigration bills are considered by critics to be more mean-spirited. They include measures to tax money sent from Texas to Mexico, bar illegal immigrants from public universities and challenge the citizenship of immigrant children, even if the children are born on US soil.
    Why not tax dollars to Mexico, since most of them are earned under the table? That is not mean; that is reality. Barring illegals from universities is not mean, since we have our own generation trying to get through college without having to compete for classes for their degree. And the citizenship of (illegal) immigrant children needs to be defined once and for all in front of the Supreme Court, rather than being defined by someone like Sra. Van de Puta.
    Yes, rhetoric needs to be toned down, including accusing every non-Hispanic in this country of racism and prejudice when they uphold the laws of this nation. Get a grip, lady.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte is a pro-illegal alien Democrat and she was part of the State Affairs committee that blocked all the immigration legislation last session.

She has no real imput to the argument. She has added the same tired old pro-criminal retoric. It's a federal problem. It's anti-Hispanic. It's mean spirited.

"kiss my a**" and "go home".
    Notice how that was put together out of context then the spin took off.
    "A racial exchange"
    "When we have legislators assume that because someone looks different, they're not American, that is very troubling to me," said Van de Putte.
    She is a mouth piece for illegal aliens.

"Go Home" is not a racist commnet nor does it mean Go to China. More than likely ment go home to Dallas. People in Fort Worth say that about Dallasites all the time. If you live near Dallas, you would completely understand.

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Why not tax dollars to Mexico, since most of them are earned under the table? That is not mean; that is reality. Barring illegals from universities is not mean, since we have our own generation trying to get through college without having to compete for classes for their degree. And the citizenship of (illegal) immigrant children needs to be defined once and for all in front of the Supreme Court, rather than being defined by someone like Sra. Van de Puta.
    Yes, rhetoric needs to be toned down, including accusing every non-Hispanic in this country of racism and prejudice when they uphold the laws of this nation. Get a grip, lady.
    Right On, Vortex!

Great Post.

!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Tx - Immigration bills already sparking angry exchanges

The effort to crack down on undocumented workers
    Call them what they really are: FOREIGN SCABS!!

Maybe he meant get out of here ( this building) and go home to his residence in America where he hangs his hat every evening!

That is how I would have taken that statement.....No go back to some other country....He did not say go back to China, but this is how these people turn what other say around.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Maybe he meant get out of here ( this building) and go home to his residence in America where he hangs his hat every evening!

That is how I would have taken that statement.....No go back to some other country....He did not say go back to China, but this is how these people turn what other say around.
    That's exactly what I thought too!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Go Home" is not a racist commnet nor does it mean Go to China. More than likely ment go home to Dallas. People in Fort Worth say that about Dallasites all the time. If you live near Dallas, you would completely understand.

Dixie
    Very true. There is a deep animosity that us people have here in Fort Worth for people in Dallas. Dallas has long been a cesspool of dirty politics, crime, and just a general nasty attitude among the general population. They also can't drive. I cringe everytime I see the "Now entering Dallas County" sign. I also say that since the Dallas Cowboys played in Irving, but was in Dallas County, but now they are in Tarrant Country in Arlington, we should rename them the Fort Worth Cowboys.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Comments at the source link.
    ~~~

Is immigration a state or federal issue?

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 04:02 PM PST

By Layron Livingston - bio - email

Posted by Ellen Krafve - email

EAST TEXAS (KLTV) - So who exactly is responsible for bringing about reform and enforcing immigration laws? That question is sparking debate along lines well beyond the border.

"Should the federal government be doing legislation concerning immigration, yes, but the question I would shoot back is what have they done? They haven't done a single thing," said Representative Leo Berman.

He said he can't change federal law, but one thing he can do is...

"Challenge automatic citizenship under the 14th amendment for the children of illegal aliens born in Texas," said Berman.

He's already filed Texas House bill 256 which would make children born in the U.S. to illegal immigrant parents, non-citizens.

"We want a lawsuit to take us into federal court where our attorney general can take this all the way to the U.S. supreme court, and have some judge say, 'you know, you're right,'" said Berman.

He said his constituents are being hurt by 2 million undocumented residents, and it's his job....

"To protect my citizens by enforcing the law," said Berman.

He represents constituents like "Bill" who wrote in to KLTV.com to say, "[I] totally support Berman for introducing the bill...the only thing wrong is that it does not go far enough."

He was referring to another bill that Berman filed that was aimed at relocating all illegal immigrants to "sanctuary cities."

"It's a federal issue," said Gus Ramirez.

Ramirez admits that something needs to be done, but some bills go to far.

"What makes a state representative dictate to Congress or the U.S. Senate, 'hey we need to do this,'" asked Ramirez.

Tyler immigration attorney Natalie Fletcher said immigration is exclusively a federal issue but she says it's becoming more common for laws to be enforced indirectly on the state level. She spoke with us by telephone.

"The states, when they think that the feds are failing to act, will try to draft their own legislation and take matters into their own hands," said Fletcher.

She said lawmakers are driven by their most vocal constituents and the pendulum of public opinion will continue to swing.

Berman has filed a number of bills this legislative session. If you want to read them go to the "Big Red Box" and Click on "Berman's bills."

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=9881235

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast