Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

TX-Man says illegal aliens are ruining his business

Man says illegal immigrants are ruining his business
    Updated at 06:27 PM today

Tom Abrahams

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- President Obama's immigration plan brings a debate back to the forefront that has raged on for years -- a debate with very strong opinions on both sides.

Immigration is an emotional issue. That's in part why the broken system hasn't been overhauled in two decades. But we met a local businessman who is passionate about the subject because he says it affects his very livelihood.

Drew Evans says it's tough for him to compete for work as a building contractor because he's playing on an unlevel field.

"I would say that 70, 60 to 70 percent of the guys that do what I do use illegals," said Evans.

He says he loses job after job because he can't out-price someone who hires illegal workers. He doesn't blame the workers. He blames the competitors and the government.

"Securing the border, first and foremost, has to be the main thing," said Evans.

Evans says it's not just him who's losing out. Across the service industry, Americans don't get what immigration laws are really costing them.

"I bought my first car on lawn mowing money," Evans said. "I defy a kid to try to do that now. You can't compete with these guys that dump five illegals on your front lawn, mow the grass for 25 bucks and are gone, or the men that are busing their tables. OK, yeah, the restaurants are getting cheap labor, but my gosh, we're paying for it in the end."

On Thursday, President Obama acknowledged what Evans has known for a long time.

"In sum, the system is broken," he said. "And everybody knows it."

And in calling for immigration reform, he spoke right to the problem plaguing Evans.

"We cannot continue just to look the other way as a significant portion of our economy operates outside the law," said President Obama. "It breeds abuse and bad practices. It punishes employers who act responsibly and undercuts American workers."

But the fix is a lot easier said than done.

"This has been such a contentious issue and so divisive," said immigration attorney Gordon Quan.

Quan says the politics in Washington won't make reform easy.

"Most agree border security needs to be improved," said Quan. "Visa quotas need to be improved. I think 70 percent of the proposed legislation everybody agrees upon. It's the 30 percent about what you do with the 11 million people who are undocumented."

As for Evans, he is sick of the politics from both parties. He just wants results, before he's driven out of business for doing the right thing.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... le-7532265
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

if he has 100 percent proof, he should take all these companies to court and file for lost monies he would hae earned if he was on a level playing field

Illegals are everywhere in construction, usually employed by an American subcontractor who is hired by the builder. Many of them work with fraudulent social security numbers and are paid well. I once heard someone in the building industry say "I hire whoever shows up looking for a job and no Americans show up". I suspect he probably didn't want to pay wages an American could live on.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Glad to see the press actually talking about this. Employers who hire illegals have basically taken over the construction businesses in CA for decades.

Added to Homepage:
    http://www.alipac.us/article-5417--0-0.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I wonder why anyone even bothers to obey the law anymore. Why, why even bother being law abiding? The law abiding person is punished continuously while the law breaker gets a slap on the wrist or even rewarded for doing so.. I want to live in a county where laws are obeyed again. when the majority of people follow the law and laws are enforced. What is happening to our wonderful country? STOP THIS INSANITY.

I have been a member of a construction union since 1975. There has always been competition from nonunion contractors but in the last fifteen years their use of IAs has made it all but impossible to compete. If fact since 2000 most of the unions here in NYC have actively recruited IAs into their ranks. Members like myself who have opposed such methods get screwed again and again.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Most agree border security needs to be improved," said Quan. "Visa quotas need to be improved. I think 70 percent of the proposed legislation everybody agrees upon. It's the 30 percent about what you do with the 11 million people who are undocumented."
    15 to 20 million Americans are unemployed...we don't need more foreign labor, we need less.

We need to stop apologizing for wanting the benefits of America to be afforded to Americans!

If the trade off for illegal immigration is more legal immigration we are doomed. Stop already with the "Jobs Americans won't do" BS. We are committing suicide here, people!!
    <div>
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by hattiecat
    Illegals are everywhere in construction, usually employed by an American subcontractor who is hired by the builder.... I suspect he probably didn't want to pay wages an American could live on.
    A local contractor told me that he pays illegals three dollars less per hour.

For a small savings, individuals gain an advantage, but we all pay the price in lost jobs for Americans, unstable American families, Americans incarcerated because they can't get a jog, and a belief that our government is no longer working for us.

Ultimately the illegals ecoomy is a false economy. Individuals gain, but we all pay a price.
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade

Quote Originally Posted by melena29
    To destroy a people you must first sever their roots - Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
    Sometimes artists see the very heart of something and express it perfectly.

American Patriots are coming to AZ Oct. 22-24 to get fired up

We're waiting to hear from Governor Brewer and Sheriff Joe

ONLY AS LOUD AS WE NEED TO BE