06/21/2007
National Minuteman leader meets behind closed doors with locals

Lynsey Bradley
Midland Reporter-Telegram

A spokesman for the Minutemen Civil Defense Corps talks with the media on Wednesday outside of the Permian Basin Regional Planning Commission building.

Administrator says he wants to teach locals how to pressure city to fight illegal immigration

The local chapter of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps met behind closed doors Wednesday with the national MCDC administrator of new chapters to learn how to urge city government to join efforts against illegal immigration.

"I'm planning to show them how to apply pressure to their city government into doing something (about illegal immigration) using logic and truth," Pat Byrne told the Reporter-Telegram before the meeting.

The group met at 7 p.m. at the Permian Basin Regional Planning Commission building to discuss what they could do about illegal immigrants in West Texas, but the press was not invited to attend. It appeared about a dozen people were in attendance by 7:30 p.m.

Byrne said the organization is not a "group of bigots" against immigrants; they are a non-violent, grassroots organization made up of "just regular folks." Their issue is with illegal immigrants and the "problems they bring" to Americans, he explained.

"I don't have a problem with immigrants. But if you're wanting to come into the country, I just want to know what your name is, where you're from and what your intentions are upon entering the country," Byrne said.

The problem with city governments, Byrne explained, is they say they have no power; but Byrne said he's not buying it.

"Section 287(g) of Immigration and Customs Enforcement was specifically designed to train local police and sheriff's deputies on immigration laws and enforcement procedures," Byrne said.

Under 287(g), ICE provides state and local law enforcement with the training and subsequent authorization to identify, process, and when appropriate, detain immigration offenders they encounter during their regular, daily law-enforcement activity, the government Web site stated.

Byrne said dramatic increases in polio and sexually transmitted diseases can be tied to illegal immigration and that is why the issue must be addressed.

"I'd like the people of Midland to know that the Texas border is not the Rio Grande," Byrne said. "Problems (illegal immigrants) are committing can be resolved if they wake up and help us out. If enough folks do that, we'll see a change."

http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news...d=475626&rfi=6