Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Parker addresses illegal immigration at senior luncheon

Parker addresses illegal immigration at senior luncheon

By Chris Roark, Staff Writer
    (Created: Friday, May 2, 2008 7:33 PM CDT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas Rep. Tan Parker (R-Flower Mound) said Wednesday that enforcement of laws is key when dealing with the illegal immigration issue.

Parker met with members of Seniors in Motion to answer questions on a variety of topics, and just like the town hall meeting he spoke at in December, illegal immigration was at the forefront of the discussions.

One senior asked if state officials are embarrassed that Oklahoma and Arizona are ahead of Texas when it comes to handling the illegal immigration issue.

"The answer is yes," Parker said. "And, we have to take real action. There are a number of us in the House of Representatives and the Senate last time around that tried to do something meaningful on this. There are a number of bills that were filed but were unfortunately left on the floor and were not able to get out or were shut down in the committee process.

“But, there is very much a structured, strategically-focused group that is working on legislation that is modeled after what we've seen in Oklahoma and Arizona. And, there are monthly reports on what that means for all aspects of Oklahoma life and Arizona life. But, there is no question that the illegal immigration population in Texas has grown drastically as a result of tougher enforcement in the states that are relatively close to us in proximity."

Steps Oklahoma has taken include penalizing employers who hire illegal immigrants, taking away social service benefits, enforcing existing laws and incarcerating the illegal immigrants who are picked up, Parker said.

He said laws, such as the Federal Labor Law and the Federal Immigration Law, are already in place. Now, Texas just has to follow through with them.

"If you look at the books and what's on them, 90 percent of the problem that we're dealing with today would be resolved if it (the laws) was actually enforced," Parker said. "Enforcement of the current laws is the first step."

Flower Mound Mayor Jody Smith was also at the event and said Flower Mound is doing its part.

"Our police department is practicing what they've already been trained in identifying them," she said. "We're not driving along and racially profiling. But, when they are pulled over and stopped, we do practice just what the law says."

Another resident asked what Parker's thoughts are on a fence for border security.

"I've gone back and forth on the issue," he said. "Fundamentally, I keep going back to the issue of what will work? If the experts on the ground tell me they can build a fence or fence certain areas that will deter it in a significant way and will not have the opportunity to bury tunnels below it and that it's going to be enforceable, then I would support it. To this point, I have not seen plans or designs, in my opinion, of something that is truly impenetrable. That's why I think a physical presence is really what is needed, along with new technology. To me, it's not one size fits all. It's a combination of things that will give us an increased presence and a secure border."

Parker followed that by mentioning a bill he co-sponsored last session that penalizes companies whose employers knowingly hire an illegal immigrant by revoking any type of state grant, money or program.

In addition, a resident asked if the legislature is doing anything regarding the rising price of gasoline.

"I can't tell you at this point, since we're not in session, that there is anything happening as far as a bill moving along," Parker said. "I know that all of us as members of the house and senate are very concerned with the issue. We've looked to see what John McCain as a presidential candidate has called for in terms of a freeze on the federal (gas) tax in the summer months. President Bush called for a similar thing just this week. So I think we'll look at similar type of venues or opportunities in Texas, but nothing formally has taken place."

Parker was also asked about the status on Real ID, a federal identification project adopted by the U.S. Congress and originally scheduled to go into effect this month. Congress pushed back the deadline for individual state compliance in order to address concerns on it.

"I don’t think it will happen here," Parker said. “We have not committed to anything in that regard here in Texas.â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

would it be illogical for me to assume that a constuction site that has 100% hispanic workers(at least 25) in a county that is listed as having population of hispanics as 4% in a population of over 421,000 is either discriminating against other races or hiring illegal aliens-I have called this company for employment at least 7 times and have been told they are not hiring

this is in guilford county NC

I said site,but this company is building at least 30 big homes in my area-many going at the same time-almost none of the workers speak any english-I have spoken to them inquiring where boss was to find work-they have been building insite of my home and on other streets nearby for over a year

Quote Originally Posted by DHolmes7
    this is in guilford county NC
    ???
    Please explain what I'm missing.
    It's late and I'm tired so I'm open for correction.
    Rep. Tan Parker is in TX as is Flower Mound.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

in a county that is 94% black or white-wouldnt it seem odd that not even one person of either race would be hired by this company?

yes the article is about whats happening in texas-but it sparked me to ask about similar situation in NC -GA,SC,VIRGINIA ARE CRACKING DOWN- and our illegal alien population is growing because lack of state action and crumbs hiring them and onlty them

Simply American corporations want slave labor and as long as they can hire this labor it will continue, in my opinion there was a time when companies had morals and standards but that time has past while certainly there are good companies out there there are large numbers who are not, the working class citizen is truly under siege unlike I have seen in my 60+ years of life and no one seems to care and unless the young people of this nation wake up their future will be very bleak.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.