Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Republican rivals face off again for Kaufman-Henderson..

Republican rivals face off again for Kaufman-Henderson House seat

10:04 PM CST on Saturday, February 23, 2008
    By FRANK TREJO / The Dallas Morning News

Illegal immigration has taken center stage in the heated Republican primary race between five-term state Rep. Betty Brown of Terrell and challenger Wade Gent of Forney.

Both said illegal immigration is a constant concern of residents in state House District 4, which is Kaufman and Henderson counties. And both said they would work hard to stop it.

But Mr. Gent, who ran unsuccessfully for the same seat two years ago, has attacked Ms. Brown's 2001 vote for a bill that lets illegal immigrants pay in-state tuition at state universities and colleges if they graduate from a Texas high school, have lived in the state at least three years and sign an affidavit saying they will seek legal status as soon as they are eligible.

The measure, House Bill 1403, passed overwhelmingly in the House and Senate and was signed by Gov. Rick Perry with little controversy.

Mr. Gent, however, says it draws illegal immigrants to Texas.

"I favor abolishing incentives for illegals such as free health care and free education and tuition breaks for illegals at Texas universities and colleges," he said.

Ms. Brown responded that she now opposes in-state tuition for illegal immigrants. She co-sponsored a measure in the last legislative session that would have repealed House Bill 1403.

At the time the original bill was passed, "it was promoted that it would cost us less in the long run," she said, adding that federal law requires the state to provide public school education to illegal immigrants.

"It was 2001, before 9/11 and before we had the numbers of illegals we have now," Ms. Brown said. "Seven years later, the numbers have increased enormously; we have all this information telling us what's happening."

But Mr. Gent said the problem "has always been there."

"What you have to look at is who has the most foresight to be able to see problems early on and not wait until it's too late to act," he said.

Ms. Brown said she still plans to work for a bill that would require people to present a photo ID in order to vote, as well as to register to vote. Both measures, she said, would help eliminate voting by illegal immigrants.

Mr. Gent said he is running against Ms. Brown for the same reasons he ran in 2006.

"I believe the citizens of Kaufman and Henderson counties deserve a representative who is going to represent their interests and not the interests of Austin," he said.

Mr. Gent also strongly opposes the Trans-Texas Corridor, the north-south network of toll roads, rails and utility lines that's proposed as an economic boon and a remedy to congestion on Interstate 35. He says the project would take 5,000 acres by eminent domain from District 4 alone, a move that he said represents the kind of "absolute power" he opposes and his opponent supports.

Ms. Brown initially voted for Trans-Texas Corridor legislation but has since said Texans have made it clear they don't want the corridor as proposed. Before such a large project is built, she has said, the state should look at areas where I-35 could be widened, as well as consider changing eminent domain laws to properly compensate property owners for any land that is taken. Ms. Brown said she is seeking a sixth term because "I feel I still have a lot to offer my district."

"I've served five sessions and have gained a great deal of experience and seniority, both of which are very helpful in trying to get things done in Austin," she said. "I feel like we have a better chance of working on things that are important to the district."

She said she wants to continue to work on conservative values such as keeping taxes low, holding down spending and "standing strong against those who would roll back our progress on lawsuit reform."

The winner on March 4 will face Democrat Victor Morales, who is unopposed in his party's primary.

REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES, STATE HOUSE DISTRICT 4
    Betty Brown

Hometown: Terrell

Academic: attended Southern Methodist University, 1957-60

Career: ran unsuccessfully for state House District 4, 1996; elected, state House District 4, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wade Gent

Hometown: Forney

Academic: business economics degree, Texas Tech University, 1996; law degree, Texas Wesleyan University, 2000

Career: banking industry in Kaufman and Henderson counties, 1994-97; city attorney for Rosser and Scurry, 2005-07; municipal court judge, Forney, 2007-present; ran unsuccessfully for state House District 4, 2006

www.dallasnews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

what is the make up of his district -republican to democrat?