Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX Sen Patrick moves against money-wiring

This is from the Austin American-Statesman

Patrick files wire-money bill
    By Mike Ward | Monday, January 22, 2007, 07:35 PM

Just back from a four-day tour of the Texas-Mexico border in South Texas, Houston Sen. Dan Patrick today made good on another campaign promise.

Patrick, R-Houston, filed Senate Bill 268 which would place a fee on money wired out of Texas to any foreign country. The 10-percent fee on wire transactions under $5,000 would be collected to provide funding for border security.

Patrick said he just returned from a four-day fact-finding tour of the South Texas border, hosted by the Rio Grande Chamber of Commerce, Sens. Eddie Lucio and Juan Hinojosa and House members who represent the Valley and surrounding areas.

“I believe there is a perception by conservatives in our big cities and suburbs that the people on the border are not as concerned about border security,” Patrick said in a statement.

“I also think there is a perception by Texans on the border, where almost 90 percent of the population is Hispanic, that border control advocates are anti-Hispanic and want to kick out 12 million people or build a wall from Brownsville to El Paso.

“I found Valley residents want a secure border as much as any Texan.”

Patrick, a conservative Houston radio talk show host who has championed immigration reform , was recently assigned to the Senate committee that oversees border issues.

Earlier, Patrick filed a so-called “trigger” bill that would outlaw abortions in Texas if the U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe vs. Wade, just as he campaigned he would.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

So nice to see a Texas legislator that actually has testicles.

I hope it is true he is aiming at the governor's mansion. I would gladly vote for him over Dewhurst any day. I just hope that his hard work would not end when/if elected governor.

Jaded,
    His courage will most likely be tested by either the aclu or some other pro illegal group saying that somehow this is unconstitutional to their "rights".
    I hate to be synical, but I'll believe it when I read that it passed and is then being enforced.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Rep. Leo Berman of Tyler is introducing similar legislation.